Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

velleman mk139 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

staboss

it may seem like a noob question but..................im a noob :p
I have this clap switch from velleman(mk139) and it says i need a 12VDC/150mA input for it to work the actual clapper part, what type of batteries other than just 12V (some answer on a google search) do i need. i.e. do they need to be that mA or can they be any.

any explanation of mA would help as wikipedia kinda confused me a bit:)

any help is appreciated
thanks

I am not sure as to why you would want to operate this with batteries!
You can just use anyAC/DC adaptor with a 12 volts output 150 ma which is for sure much cheaper than 12 volts worth of batteries.
If you really do want batteries I guess you can just use 2x 6 volts flashlight batteries in series. and it might last one week.

Yer alot easier however its in a lamp and a wire for the light and one for the clapper would look a bit messy, unless im going the wrong way about it?
it might last one week.
Its just got to look like it works for a school project:p:) so thats an option but it would be nice if it was longer lasting

Well, Logically speaking if you were able to solder the components on this kit, I am sure you can integrate an AC/DC adaptor within the lamp.
The adaptor is much smaller than batteries and it is actually smaller than the kit itself.

Mike

You have a choice, either install the kit and the adaptor in a box that you plug into the AC and run one wirer to the lamp or if you have enough room in the lamp install the kit and adaptor in the lamp.

yer now i get it, i thought you meant a plug in the wall one, think i might look for the smallers one i can find now, thank for you help

I was just looking at the manual that comes with your kit and it doesn't work with any ordinary AC lamp, it actually has a max of 24 volts so you will have to design your own electrical for your lamp. Therefore you can actually split your 12 volts wire from the adaptor and use this for the supply with a 12 volts light bulb (anything for cars is good)

so would something like this work. excuse the mspaint picture.
**broken link removed**
or
**broken link removed**

well same thing really but oh well

Last edited:
That's how it should be.
light.jpg

Your circuit and other people's circuits look like the lamp is only 12V. Isn't your lamp 120V? If 120V then the relay contacts must switch 120V, not 12V.
The circuit is powered from 12VDC.

Then why don't you use a 12V wall wart or power supply with enough output current for the circuit plus for the light bulbs?

I think ive sorted it with mikes solution however (yes im a beginner) with its 12VDC/150mA input for the clapper am i able to use a 12VDC/700mA adaptor on it without braking?
as all i understand is that 700mA is the most you can take from it ?

if you are going to use the same adaptor to supply the light bulb then the higher the mA the better it is.

Last edited:
No 150 mA is the minimum the clapper needs to work, this is what it consumes so you can use anything above this.
The 12volts on the other hand is something you don't want to go over or bellow.

Last edited:
The maximum relay contact output included in this kit is 24 Volts.

Mike
No.
The photo shows that the relay coil is 12V and the relay contacts are 15A at 125VAC or 10A at 26VDC. It is also labelled 10A at 240VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back