Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying this

Kaltal

Hi,

I managed to blow this component but not sure what It is. I cant find the part number anywhere, dont have a great deal of experience hunting so figured I would ask the experts. +5V goes straight to it i fthat helps.
ProgRes Captured Image #2.png
ProgRes Captured Image #1.png
IMG_7644.jpg

I'm not sure how I did it. Background story time. So its a hall effect sensor for an electric motor I am using to convert a car to electric. I believe what happened was a stray wire I had stripped to check voltage previously, but did not cut once done, touched the chassy which just so happened to be grounded (by accident because my grounding wire was touching the chassis) as I was doing something completely non electrical and a spark and smoke occured. My motor would not turn and error code from controller was this speed senor. I popped it open and knew immediately it was what went as the smell is distinctive. so either it reversed the voltage or I put too much juice in. I have since tidied up my wire and my grounds but case of closing the stable door after horse has bolted.

It is hard to know the circuit as the wire that touched and this sensor both disappear into a magic black box (my dc to Ac inverter/controller) so I am not sure what it did.

It looks to be an SMAJ5.0CA-TR, a 5V transil
(Overvoltage protection).

Se page 8 of this, to top right entry in the marking table:

You will probably find that the fault is not just that device itself - that's there to protect other components against spikes and short-term overvoltage.

If it's blown, the board has experienced excess voltage with significant power behind it, probably destroying other devices as well....

That’s
It looks to be an SMAJ5.0CA-TR, a 5V transil
(Overvoltage protection).

Se page 8 of this, to top right entry in the marking table:

You will probably find that the fault is not just that device itself - that's there to protect other components against spikes and short-term overvoltage.

If it's blown, the board has experienced excess voltage with significant power behind it, probably destroying other devices as well....
that’s perfect thanks so much.

I did order a replacement encoder, but have just now ordered this component as well. Just curiosity if I can get it up and running. But I suspect you are correct and it’s toast. But will pick away at it and see.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back