Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable resistor SMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shara Azhar

how to know variable resistor (SMD) is broken and the reason. It is because of my way of soldering using hot air gun? When i checking the connectivity, i found out the pin 2 and 3 have connection on PCB. Then, i unsolder and again check the connectivity, also same, have connection between that pin.

You have to solder delicate surface mount components by hand - such as LEDs, crystals, electrolytics, tantalums, trim pots, because if you are going to use non leaded solder, the temperature will be so high that there is no margin for error. Even the manufacturers and assemblers find it enormously difficult to solder the boards and prevent dry joints and prevent damage to components.

PCB Preheaters help a lot with hot air, and with lead-free solder if you're using it. They are usually very expensive for what they are though.

You set it to be 100C or 150C so the component and the PCB area around it is below the melting temperature of the solder (so the PCB doesn't suck heat away as much) so the hot air gun or iron only has to give the temperature a quick nudge to get it hot enough to melt. It also lets you set the temperature of the hot air gun lower since it doesn't need to be hot enough to heat everything up on it's own quickly anymore which reduces the maximum temperature the component might reach.

Thank you dknguyen for the information. Before this i use a bit high temperature which is 290c -to 300c. how about the air ( pressure) for the hot air, i used 30?

Thank you dknguyen for the information. Before this i use a bit high temperature which is 290c -to 300c. how about the air ( pressure) for the hot air, i used 30?
I'm not the best person to help you specifics since I am not too confident in my hot air skills myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back