Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable gain amplification for speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2osman

Okay, I'm new to this forum, so try and give me a break. Here's what I want to do....I want a device that I can place at any distance from a speaker (within the confines of my living room) that will send a test signal (either pink noise or a variable tone generator) to the speaker and adjust the gain accordingly to match a preset level of, oh, let's say 70 dBa. Basically, something like an SPL meter with a feedback to the amplifier. The desired end result would be something that could potentially adjust the levels of all the channels in a 5.1 surround system just by placing it in different locations in the room. I was thinking probably an omni-directional electret mic and then some kind of variable gain amp that feeds the tone generator or pink noise generator. Any ideas????

Are you sure your 5.1 doesn't already have a built-in tone generator for speaker balance - all I have ever heard of have this feature on the remote control.

Yes, that's correct. All Dolby Digital and Pro-Logic receivers have a built in tone generator. But I'm pretty sure they all also require that the user adjust the gain for each channel manually. I'm actually talking about a stand-alone device independent of the receiver. Forget the statement about the 5.1 system. I just want a circuit for a single speaker that will send a test signal to the speaker, collect the speaker output through a microphone, and adjust the gain to match a preset sound level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back