Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Amp Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmeroney

can anyone suggest a solution to this problem. Im want to build a platform that rotates at variable speeds. here are my needs.

1. I need to place the platform over 100ft away so I want to use Cat5 cable to use to control it.

2. I want to use a High Tourqe motor around 1 amp DC to drive the platform.

3. I want to not only control the motor on/off but its speed.

So it's simple right? He He I wish. Here are my thoughts please feel free to help me. I began reading and figured I could build a small controller with a potientimeter set-up to control a small DC voltage out to my platform, which is around 100 ft away. At the platform I though I could use that Variable DC voltage in from the controller to Step-Up in voltage from a local DC input. Therefore keeping the current down in the Cat5 cable.

Thats the quick summary. Basically I want to control a robotic platform from a 100+ ft away. Any ideas?

Im new to Circuitry and such so that's why im here. It seems that people are willing to help and share ideas. Anything is appreciated.

Hi fmeroney,

I think I can answer to your question 3. In a very simple manner, motor speed could be controlled by a 3 terminal variable voltage regulator IC (317K), which (when fitted to a suitable heat sink) can supply output currents up to 1.5A and has an output that is fully protected against short circuit and overload conditions. Please send a mail to ravi@ualink.lk so that I could send full details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back