Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Relay to pulse 4017 counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAce

Relay to 4017.jpg

Hey guys, attached is a diagram of a relay pulsing a 4017 counter. The problem I'm having is, sometimes it will pulse 2 steps, sometimes it wont pulse at all. I realize the relay could be interfering, but the reason I have the relay is this:
The controller has multiple channels, and when working with other channels, it would trigger the 4017.

Any ideas how I could solve this besides a sledge hammer?

Thanks

Relay and pushbutton contacts bounce and make multiple counts. You need a transistor to replace the relay or a
"debounce" circuit.

Thanks audio, I need to keep the relay for reason stated above, besides it would be a pain to remove it from the board now. I will go with a debounce circuit, but the only schematic for the idea I found online, has the 10k resistor pulling high. In my schematic above I have the 10k pulling low, so I'm wondering If I need to place the capacitor between voltage rail and 4017 input? Thanks

Last edited:
Problem solved. A transistor between the relay and 4017 fixed it. I suppose the transistor "eats" up the multiple pulses.

Thanks for the tip Audiguru, I was sure the relay was the problem, but I didnt figure on the bounce they create.

I would think that a transistor will copy the multiple contact bounces of a relay contact. I was hoping that that a transistor would replace the relay.

I thought it would too, but indeed the project functions flawless now. As you may remember, the initial reason for keeping the relay was to eliminate unwanted pulses when using other channels on the radio receiver, I do suppose a transistor may have helped that too, but removing the relay from the board would have been rather difficult as I do not have a solder vacuum.

The transistor may copy the pulses somewhat, but I suppose not enough to overpower the 10k resistor pulling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back