Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using Com port for signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xiptron, the program does nothing else but run in a loop while waiting for a state transition on the DSR pin. It cannot ever get to the place where it asks for a new filename until a state transition occurs. It is intentionally stuck in that loop until a DSR occurs. Therefore, I can only conclude that Windows detects a state transition on DSR before you expect it to. Bear in mind that any state transition on DSR will trigger the timers to start, whether is be from low to high, or high to low. Is it possible that noise or some other unintentional state transition is occurring?

If my conclusion is correct then what is happening is that an unintentional DSR causes the timers to start. The timers expire and the program asks for a new filename. So, then the DTR output must also be taking place. Did you notice that DTR was also tripping whatever you are driving with it?

I can add a hotkey to start the timers by force, but if there is noise or some other unintentional transition of DRS, the issue will not be resolved by a hotkey.

Last edited:
I have had it on test again overnite and so far no change of state. I can only assume it was a false trigger for some reason. No worries, I realise it can't do it by itself.

The hotkey would be great, as that will allow me to start the timers remotely if I have to. What key will you assign?

Last edited:
Is there any particular key you would like? Any alphanumeric key is easiest for me.

As far as false triggering goes, an open DSR pin is just begging for noise to trigger it. The open input sits somewhere between high and low states, and usually considers it a true low (mark, -12v). I can set some other output pin low. Then tie a 10K resistor between it and the DSR pin. This will hold the DSR pin low, for sure, until you connect it directly to the RTS pin, which is set to high.

Last edited:
The '1' key will be ok. Ok, I'm using pin 7 (RTS) so you could take DTR to neg (pin 4).

Last edited:
Come to think of it, DTR starts out neg. Yeah, just keep a 10K resistor always connected between DSR and DTR, and use RST to bring DSR high to start the timers. When the DTR pin goes high at the expiration of a timer, it won't matter because the timers have started already anyway.

You might want to check that out a few times before going with it. I think I set DTR low again then clear the transition that is stored before polling DSR again on the next go-around.

I put the "1" key mod in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok. As an aside, is there a restriction on the length of the filenames? I have noticed that it doesn't seem to like long filenames. At the moment I'm sticking to three letters plus extension.

Ziptron, here are the mods for the 1 key to force DSR.

With regards to your last question, there is a filename limitation of 8 characters.

Best wishes

Attachments

• MULTIFA.zip
    51.3 KB · Views: 105
Pin 7 RTS is +12v continuously so I'm taking my output from Pin 4 DTR which is normally -12v, going +12v on trigger. Pin 6 DSR is about +200mV without the resistor but about -3.3v when connected to Pin 4 DTR via the 10k. Are these voltages what you'd expect?

I'll be watching for false triggers but hopefully there won't be any now.

Last edited:
Hi curtiss! If you happen to get this note, I just thought I'd let you know the timers are still operating flawlessly. I am using the application every day.

Cheers : )

Hi curtiss! If you happen to get this note, I just thought I'd let you know the timers are still operating flawlessly. I am using the application every day.

Cheers : )

Hi Gary. I'm very glad to hear that I was of help. Thanks for letting me know!

I have since learned enough LabView to be dangerous. If you are interested, I'll toy around with the timer program to give a windows look and feel. Is the cascading trigger, whereby one timer triggers the next, still more desirable than parallel timer operation? Also, what is the maximum time delay, per timer, required? If more than 24 hours, it's a bit more complicated.

Hi there Curtis, thanks for your kind offer. Yes, I would be very interested in a Windoze version! The sequencing or cascading version would be a treat compared to the parallel timer. I regularly change the second timer, which requires adjusting 3, 4 and 5 as well. I use a spreadsheet to calulate the various entries needed but this is cumbersome and time consuming. The sequencing version would require changing only the relevant timer and not require resorting to separate calculations first.

I am using only 5 timers but you may include an option where some more 'blocks' may be added. At other times I use only 2 timers - I presume they will still work when timers 3, 4 and 5 (or more) have zeros in them. As for screen layout, I would imagine it similar to now i.e. 570 x 200 pixels (w x h). The maximum time I use isn't over 3 hours, so if you programmed for 9:59:59 as the maximum (per timer), that would be fine. Let me know if you need any more info. Cheers.

Last edited:
I attached an executable file for you to evaluate. Before you can run it you have to go to the following link and download the file LVRTE901std.exe and run it to install the LabView runtime engine, which installs all the DLLs and libraries needed. After that is done, the attached file will execute.

It has parallel timers and no way to load a timer file, yet. One step at a time.

LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 2009 - Windows 2000/7/XP/Vista/Vista x64/7 64 bit - (32-bit Standard RTE) - National Instruments

Attachments

• Application.exe
    421 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Ok. I have downloaded the app and the runtime engine but when I run the app it says it can't find the libraries. Can you please tell me exactly how and where to install the runtime files pse. Should they be in sys32?

Last edited:
All you need to do is click on the filename at the site I gave you the link to. Then answer "yes" when prompted to "run" the file.

After you "run" the file, the file is downloaded to you computer and then you are prompted to "unzip" the file. Click "unzip" to extract the installation files to the proper directory on your computer (which by default is folder C:\National Instruments Downloads\LabVIEW\2009\Run-Time Engine\32-bit\Standard). One of the extracted files ,"Setup.exe", should execute automatically. If it is not automatically executed, then run setup.exe manually to perform the installation of the runtime engine.

Cheers

Got it now - I had 'saved' the file rather than 'running' it (as you and National say!). Duh. It has installed - but is asking for access to 'D:\My Documents'. I don't operate a D drive on this computer. I'm stuck now as it won't install due to this.

Last edited:
Got it now - I had 'saved' the file rather than 'running' it (as you and National say!). Duh. It has installed - but is asking for access to 'D:\My Documents'. I don't operate a D drive on this computer. I'm stuck now as it won't install due to this.

What's asking for the access, the installation setup, or the exe file I attached before? Maybe you can change the D: to a C:? Sorry, it wasn't so difficult when I did the procedure.

It's the National file. It comes up with a message 'this program requires access to D:\My Documents. Please arrange this and relaunch setup." DUH! That's just not possible as there is no D drive, nor does the LabView install configuration give me any options. But the D-drive thing is a nonsense anyway - there isn't one. It's installed itself on C:\Nat etc etc correctly - why any reference to D then? All that is happening on my home computer - I'm now going to try an install on the actual computer that will eventually host it - and see how that goes.

OK, we're back on track. I'm on another computer, and I've no idea what error caused the above peterbation!

I have your program up and running and as you say, it has limited functionality. What's the next step (I will need it to fit rectangularly, 580 x 200 approx)?

OK, we're back on track. I'm on another computer, and I've no idea what error caused the above peterbation!

I have your program up and running and as you say, it has limited functionality. What's the next step (I will need it to fit rectangularly, 580 x 200 approx)?

Fine business! I'm working on the cascaded version and adding a feature to read from a file. Will get back to you. I don't know if you realize it or not but you can enter new timer values by writing over the default ones if you highlight them first with your mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back