Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using Com port for signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reply CC.

One thing is that it won't start by connecting DSR to DTR, but will start with 9V (from a small battery) connected to DSR via a remote switch. (I found that getting it to start by connecting DSR to DTR is dependant on how the DTR interface is configured).

OOPS! That was my error! I didn't take enough attention to note that it was from RTS to DSR. I'll try it and dispense with the battery (it is a momentary closure btw).

Something else I would find useful is a PAUSE function acting over all timers.

I've just noticed that the countdown is too fast, gaining 7 seconds over a ten minute period. I wondered why my sums weren't working out! Could the 286 internal clock be running too fast? Not much of an expert in these areas I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I can add a PAUSE function. I noticed it runs about 7 seconds per 10 min faster than the PC clock too! If anything, I would expect a problem where it runs a bit slow due to processing time??? I'll need some time later to work on those things.

Ver 6b is working well and the mods are great.

Adding PAUSE to the next version will be cool.

For now I'm applying a correction factor of 1.0117 to obtain the correct durations (thank heavens for spreadsheets!). Let me know when you've found the problem (would slowing down my cpu help? There are a few programs around to do this).

Just thought I'd let you know CC that I've had to stop using your software for the present. It's a shame after all the work you did for me but the error is a big problem and the correction factor isn't working out over my longer timing periods. I tried slowing the 286 cpu down and it seemed to help but it still doesn't have the accuracy I need over periods like 90 to 180 minutes. Maybe it's not a cpu thing? While I appreciate the problems involved I think the timer design may need to be one compatible with todays faster processors and operate under Windows. You may not want to go to this trouble and I will understand that.

Last edited:
Xiptron, this version uses a function which is tied to the PC's clock. I think it solves the timing issue. I also added a pause function. Let me know. Regards

Attachments

• MULTI6D.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 108
CC many thanks, please see txt attached.

Attachments

• changes4dostimer.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 135
  • dostimer-revision-a.JPG
    dostimer-revision-a.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Gary, I can do most of those things if not all of them. I'll be back with an update in the next few days.

Cool, thanks cc. Just one last thing, can you replace "EXPIRED' back with the original 00:00:00 syntax. Looks better. Ta

Xiptron, I think you might like the program that dmitry_n found and posted a link to.

It's Windows based and it looks like it does everything you want, with all the bells and whistles.

Let me know. Otherwise, I will continue with the update for you, no problem.

Hi cc. I'll check it out but I'd prefer us to carry on with this particular project. With your final "polishing" it'll be pretty much perfect. Hope that's ok with you.

LOL - I had to laugh a bit - I know the X-Note Stopwatch program quite well. In fact it was ME who suggested that they add the serial control you see in V1.40!!! I've had a look at v1.5 but it doesn't work in the fashion I require. I'd still prefer we finish ours for now.

Last edited:
Xiptron, attached is the update addressing everything I could address. One has 5 timers. The other has 8 timers. I gave up on starting an external executable. I can do it, but the external executable has to finish and exit before returning control back to the timer program. The path in titlebar is operating system dependent. The background is gray, not white. I have to go to another screen mode to get a white background and I don't want to go there.

Best wishes.

Attachments

• MULTI6E.zip
    50.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Hi CC. Great job and thanks. The 5 and 8 option is good. The file entry method is better now as once loaded the program is ready to be started. All the other bits and pieces are fine and I'm very happy ... except for one thing (don't kill me!!!!) - it turns out that the green font is very hard to see compared to the white settings above. I h-a-t-e to ask .. but can you make the timer text the same as timer settings? i.e white on black. DOS properties doesn't change the timing color. I also think Lucida Consol 12 pt font looks cleaner - can you make that the default? Those are my last requests, I promise lol!!!!
--------------------------
About the executable. I have since discovered that my application can be started with any single key as long as I assign one. Would it be possible for your program to access Windows and KEYBOARD and effectly press the assigned key and then return to dos and start countdown. This could be a very short event, not long enough to seriously delay timing start? What do you think?

Last edited:
but can you make the timer text the same as timer settings? i.e white on black. DOS properties doesn't change the timing color. I also think Lucida Consol 12 pt font looks cleaner - can you make that the default?

Xiptron, okay, the white on black versions are attached. About the font, you change that in XP by right-clicking on the title bar of the window, then click Properties, then click Font to change the font and font size for the application.
--------------------------
Would it be possible for your program to access Windows and KEYBOARD and effectly press the assigned key and then return to dos and start countdown. This could be a very short event, not long enough to seriously delay timing start? What do you think?

I don't see a simply way to do that. I think I will have to leave it as it is.

Attachments

• MULTIF.zip
    50.9 KB · Views: 102
That's great CC. Program looks good now and all working fine. Don't worry about the external start problem, I solved it by assigning "1" as a hot key and wired across the key's contacts inside the keyboard! This then goes off to a remote relay closure. Desparate measures but it works fine, the program and timers now start together.

Thanks for your expert help and know that we finally "got there!" lol. Keep in touch.

Hi Curtis, a small problem has surfaced: after the program has been set ready to start but left waiting overnight for DSR (10-12hours later), it has reverted to asking for a new filename. Is this a function of Windows not detecting serial port activity (timeout)? Twice now it has failed to start because of this mysterious change of state. Also, is it posssible to start the program with a hotkey as well as shorting dsr to rts? A hotkey would enable me to start the program via remote desktop. G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back