Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a 2.1 Subwoofer as standalone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I have a 2.1 PC speaker system and I was just checking out some active bookshelf speakers for my PC as a possible replacement but the thing is they are best when used with a sub because they lack the same level of bass.

I already have a good subwoofer that came with my current 2.1 speakers so obviously I'd like to use those instead of dishing out $400 for an active subwoofer which I don't even need (definately not going to do that, no way). But I'm not sure if my sub can be used on it's own.

Here's the wiring arrangement of my 2.1 speakers

PC Audio Jack -> Right Speaker (contains subwoofer and main volume knob) -> Subwoofer

Then from the the subwoofer there are identical wires going to each speaker.

I'm think that the only reason the PC connects to the right speaker first rather than directly to the woofer is because it has to pass through the control knobs on the speaker first. I also think that the the actual speaker drive signal is being sent on the identical wires from the subwoofer that run to each speaker.

Can anyone with experience in this tell me if this reasoning is probably correct or not? If it is it would mean that I can just connect the subwoofer output on the PC straight to the jack input jack on the back of the sub to use it standalone. Of course...it would mean it would be at maximum right? Since it's basically bypassing the control knobs that are normally in the right speaker?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back