Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1

I am looking for a USB receptacle, type A, rated for 2A+.
I think such a part should exit, since many chargers provide about 2A to portable devices, through an USB connector.
So far, I have found connectors rated for 1.5A max.
Can anyone advise? Thank you.

General USB specifications do not allow what you're asking 1.5amps is all that's specified, however there is a supplement to the general specifications that is considered a standard, what you need is something that supports Battery Charging 1.2 specifications

That should help with searching for compliant connectors, as if it doesn't specifically state that it's BC 1.2 compliant you can assume only the lower currents are designed for.

Last edited:
General USB specifications do not allow what you're asking 1.5amps is all that's specified, however there is a supplement to the general specifications that is considered a standard, what you need is something that supports Battery Charging 1.2 specifications

That should help with searching for compliant connectors, as if it doesn't specifically state that it's BC 1.2 compliant you can assume only the lower currents are designed for.

Yes, but a lot of devices break the BC1.2 standard and use the data lines to create a special signature, which determines the maximum charging current. It can be as high as 2A.
Despite that, it is very hard for me to find a 2A receptacle.

Last edited:
Yes, but a lot of devices break the BC1.2 standard
This has nothing to do with the fact that if you find a connector that states that it supports BC1.2 it will be safe with the currents you want to use. It's another key word you can use in searches and browse for in datasheets. It probably will be hard to find because USB was never designed to handle this much current, you should be using an appropriate power only connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back