Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"good" USB to RS232 adapter or cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhi

I know I saw on this forum a link to few usb to rs232 adapters that "do not work perfectly with some programmers and some other equipment" and a link to few that does ... searching the forum for 2h already and gave up :(

Need USB->RS232 or USB->2xRS232 adapter or cable that will work "as good as on board one" :) any hints ?

I'd prefer one I do not have to install driver to work (as with drivers, I can make usb->2xrs232 adapter with what I already have, and I already have one made with FTDI without level shifting as it goes to uC directly, but would like this one to "plug and play" and behave like "on board rs232")

thanks in advance

p.s. the easies place for me to order this (I know they ship to this 3rd world country) is (.co.uk, not .com) but, any link will do as this is not urgent and I can always get someone to order and send me via snail mail:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+rs232&x=0&y=0

As long as you're using a real serial programmer, that has a processor on board, most (if not all) adaptors should work - because you're simply transferring serial data.

For JDM type programmers, that connect to the serial handshake lines, adaptors are very unlikely to work, as they require direct access to the handshake lines in a completely non-standard way.

If you only have USB, buy a Pickit2 or clone (like the Junebug).

As long as you're using a real serial programmer, that has a processor on board, most (if not all) adaptors should work - because you're simply transferring serial data.

The *programmer* is not a problem. I have both pickit2 and easyPic4 USB programmers and I also have 2 self made parallel port programmers.

The issue is, I have no idea what might I have to use in some (undetermined) point of time and I decided to move all my elco dev on one windoze laptop as this linux/osx/windoze combo is just not doing it well, I have documents, projects, sources spread over 5 different computers and it is just @$%_$*_*@%$&#$
hence I decided to move *all* elco dev to the laptop (nice 17" asus w2c without anything but usb and fw io).... At the moment everything works (everything *is* USB attm, and the ftdi serial adapter I made works perfectly, especially that it is without level shifter so it goes directly to uC) but I kinda hate being caught with my pants down so want to get me a "real" usb -> serial that will even allow that
JDM type programmers, that connect to the serial handshake lines
to work :)
Of course - if possible :)

I do not have a need for that USB->RS232 adapter now, but I'm pretty sure that the moment I throw all the boxes from the house that have "real" rs232 I will need it, so, like to be prepared (especially if I need to order it from .us for example and that can sometimes take time, lot of time)

So, to summarize, I do not have "device" that I need to connect to RS232 that does not work and that I could "change", I just want to be ready, if I ever need to attach such device, I'd have an "adapter" ready :)

So get the FTDI demo kit for $18

There is no way around some sort of driver since USB does not "understand" RS232 flow control or modem command signals.

If you want Linux drivers talk to there is a group that exists just to make them

So get the FTDI demo kit for $18

There is no way around some sort of driver since USB does not "understand" RS232 flow control or modem command signals.

If you want Linux drivers talk to there is a group that exists just to make them

already built FTDI serial adapter that I use to communicate directly to pic, I can build a small level shifter and attach to it to get RS232, but hoped I can find some "already made" that will work with the "strange jtag programmer for example".

The "work with linux / driverless" is just "add on", as I'm moving all the dev tools to one laptop and removing everything elco related from my linux and osx boxes, this actually becomes irrelevant... it will be the one and only windoze box in da house and it will be "elco dev only", I'm giving up the linux+elco as I contacted few companies that make tools I use (picoscope, mikroelektronika and some others..) and offered free help to rewrite some of the basic tools to work on linux, even to leave it closed source and release binaries for all major distributions both 32 and 64bit .. they "were thinking about it for some time and then said no".. so, I really give up, piklab is "ok" but not comparable to windoze tools, not to mention everything else (picoscope is only windoze, simulators like EWB or ISIS, PCB tools like altium designer... don't let me continue..) I always say that one need to take right tool for the job, seams like windoze is the right tool here and all the wine/crossover/kemu/vmware and companies will not help linux go near it in this field :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back