Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleyk

Please i really need help, i have a problem with my TOSHIBA SATELLITE system, i tried to reformat it after while is stopped running
and i latter discovered that the DVD ROM is not working properly again, but i want to finish what i have started, i want to install an OS through my USB drive but it cant load form the drive unless i convert it to boo-table drive, i have come across this,

Requirements:

*USB Flash Drive (Minimum 4GB)

*Windows 7 or Vista installation files.

Follow the below steps to create bootable Windows 7/Vista USB drive using which you can install Windows 7/Vista easily.

1. Plug-in your USB flash drive to USB port and move all the contents from USB drive to a safe location on your system.

2. Open Command Prompt with admin rights. Use any of the below methods to open Command Prompt with admin rights.

*Type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter.

Or

*Go to Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. You need to know about the USB drive a little bit. Type in the following commands in the command prompt:

First type DISKPART and hit enter to see the below message.

Bootable USB Drive

Next type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number (ex: Disk 1) of your USB flash drive. In the below screenshot my Flash Drive Disk no is Disk 1.

4. Next type all the below commands one by one. Here I assume that your disk drive no is “Disk 1”.If you have Disk 2 as your USB flash drive then use Disk 2.Refer the above step to confirm it.

So below are the commands you need to type and execute one by one:

SELECT DISK 1

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

Bootable USB Drive

5. Next insert your Windows7/Vista DVD into the optical drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. In this guide I will assume that your DVD drive letter is “D” and USB drive letter is “H” (open my computer to know about it).

6. Maximize the minimized Command Prompt in the 4th step.Type the following command now:

D: CD BOOT and hit enter.Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

7. Type another command given below to update the USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code.

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H:

Where “H” is your USB drive letter. Once you enter the above command you will see the below message.

8. Copy your Windows 7/Vista DVD contents to the USB flash drive.

But instruction 5 down is not working, pls what should i do?.

I prefer the method found here as it is a little more detailed (explained).

You mention a problem with instruction #5:

5. Next insert your Windows7/Vista DVD into the optical drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. In this guide I will assume that your DVD drive letter is “D” and USB drive letter is “H” (open my computer to know about it).

What you should be doing at this point is a drag and drop of the files on the Windows disk in your optical drive to the newly created partition on your USB thumb drive. What exactly is not working? Are you getting an error code or anything?

Ron

Thanks to all for your reply, the problem i have here is with this.......5. Next insert your Windows7/Vista DVD into the optical drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. In this guide I will assume that your DVD drive letter is “D” and USB drive letter is “H” (open my computer to know about it).

6. Maximize the minimized Command Prompt in the 4th step.Type the following command now:

D: CD BOOT and hit enter.Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.

CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.

7. Type another command given below to update the USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code.

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H:

cos the command is not responding as it's writing.

although i'm running this command from another system.

You should only have to change the path to the networked drive tha contains the WIN7 disk.

If I shared my drive with you over a network, MY drive would show as a separate drive on YOUR system. You should know that drive letter.

If your system is using C: for a hard drive, D: for DVD drive, E: for memory card,

then MY networked drive on YOUR system will likely be drive F:

SO, once you find out what drive letter the NETWORKED drive is, you simply replace the drive letter in the command.

The line:

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H:

will change. The 'H:' will change to the NETWORKED drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back