Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unrecognised Junebug......

Status
Not open for further replies.

what's PTH? is it the material which junebug is made of?

is it not possible to desolder any component from junebug PCB?

PTH : see here
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/anatomy20of20a20plated20hole.pdf

It is not that one can't service a double sided PTH. But it needs special skills
It is not correct to feel one can be away from these double sided boards. It is very well possible to remove or replace parts of a double sided board like Junebug.
Let me tell you once you get the skill expected, double sided will be as easy is single sided, and for in experienced, casual worker, even single sided is HRELL-- tracks peel off while soldering or desoldering

Desoldering that electrolytic should be no problem.

Yes, So i suggested to reach a skilled person until Theo92 himself acquires the skill level, needed.
Now he says that his Gayan's Board is working. I think it is time to make up for another 18F2550 fully programmed to cope for future. He should not loose the chance. Mean time he could service the JUNEBUG

Last edited:
huuu, I figured out PTH....
I think the PTHes are not home makeable? not that? But if some kinda trick make this home madeable it'd be great...can open the door to fit a monster into a jukebox :) hneeee...no that?

A 'high end' PCB maker of bangalore once showed me atable saying a 3"*4" PCB making cost is about 1000/-.... :)

well, i'm not experienced enough....just 1/3rd of MVS's; just 3 years of electronics life, and 6 months of uC life :)

I never worked with dual layered boards....hope to do in later days

I'll see the junebug to my local eletronics guy sunday....he's leading a 20 years of electronics life, as ne told me.....

hey;;;;it's not only gayan's board, effort of our both resulted the final cute board...
gayan did the basic architecture, i corrected and finished it..... :) :) DDD

but one thing, will I say my electronics guy to use a hot air soldering gun or only his soldering iron?

Last edited:
huuu, I figured out PTH....
I think the PTHes are not home makeable? not that? But if some kinda trick make this home madeable it'd be great...can open the door to fit a monster into a jukebox :) hneeee...no that?

A 'high end' PCB maker of bangalore once showed me atable saying a 3"*4" PCB making cost is about 1000/-.... :)

well, i'm not experienced enough....just 1/3rd of MVS's; just 3 years of electronics life, and 6 months of uC life :)

I never worked with dual layered boards....hope to do in later days

I'll see the junebug to my local eletronics guy sunday....he's leading a 20 years of electronics life, as ne told me.....

hey;;;;it's not only gayan's board, effort of our both resulted the final cute board...
gayan did the basic architecture, i corrected and finished it..... :) :) DDD

but one thing, will I say my electronics guy to use a hot air soldering gun or only his soldering iron?

Hai,
Last point first, your local person can well do with normal mini soldering iron.

It is Nice to note that you worked in the design of the board. I don't fault you as none of us became experts without spoiling things. don't bother.

We have lots of expectations from you guys, who would takeover tomorrow's technical society

experience of mvs is far stretched across 40 years, but of yester years technology. Ofcourse i had a chance of serving advanced telecom hardware servicing, and modding some designs etc etc.

With modern education taken seriously you would reach my level in less than 4 years.
All the best
I was only interested to see that Junebug is safe for you to use and write LOTs of PIC progaming, and nothing else. All the best

It is not that one can't service a double sided PTH. But it needs special skills
It is not correct to feel one can be away from these double sided boards. It is very well possible to remove or replace parts of a double sided board like Junebug.
Let me tell you once you get the skill expected, double sided will be as easy is single sided, and for in experienced, casual worker, even single sided is HRELL-- tracks peel off while soldering or desoldering
What makes removing components from double-side boards EASY is a **broken link removed**. They're cheap! Get one!

I've removed very difficult components from double-side boards, and even done it multiple times on the same component (yes, I screwed up bad! :D) with no damage to the board. A good sucker like the one in the link will remove about 97% to 100% of the solder in a hole. Then you just gently either wiggle or wiggle/heat the component leg and it's free. Sometimes it doesn't even need that. Do them all and it falls out.

The odd component may also need a little solder wick to get the last of the solder out. Solder wick is not cheap, but you only need a little sometimes. If you store it for a long time you may need to add a bit of flux to it. The flux in it stops working.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you and thank you mvs sarma....
I'll try to fulfill your expectations my friend....gladly
Lastly, I wanna tell, when I read in class VIII, i started electronics wrapping wire to form a MW transmitter....later days i made some kinda audio amps....but soon discovered to peer into something which needs some creativity... unlike the gainclones, which is only needed to do some gain calculations putting values to the datashhet given formulaes....no it aint me babe....

Then I got PC+dialup net after a year n 1day googled PIC mcu....i was interested and made some programmers like JDM etc...all failed...none worked....diyaudio forum help me in audio amps but didnt seemed to help on mcu.....i sad and wanted to give up...microchip samples provided me samples of some 16F and 18F pics....which is now needs $ to pay,a indian bank cheque cant do it...so i lost microchip samples...no problem....then i got BSNL_Dataone and rediscovered the joy of surfing..started pics with a new spirit and found ELECtrotechonline....i aint no have words to thank it and it's guys...I could never reach here without its help.....then found bill's magicboard the junebug, after watching and dreaming for the pickit2m, electrotechonline guys helped me every bit....now,3years gone, I'm in studying XI......and I have my uCs....

Thank you...thank you Electro Tech Online.......

What makes removing components from double-side boards EASY is a good solder sucker. They're cheap! Get one!

I've removed very difficult components from double-side boards, and even done it multiple times on the same component (yes, I screwed up bad! ) with no damage to the board. A good sucker like the one in the link will remove about 97% to 100% of the solder in a hole. Then you just gently either wiggle or wiggle/heat the component leg and it's free. Sometimes it doesn't even need that. Do them all and it falls out.

The odd component may also need a little solder wick to get the last of the solder out. Solder wick is not cheap, but you only need a little sometimes. If you store it for a long time you may need to add a bit of flux to it. The flux in it stops working.

ok!!solder suckers are good...but i have only one fear using it on junebug that will it 'extract' the plates inside the holes and would damage the PCB.......but surely I'll give it a try...

ok!!solder suckers are good...but i have only one fear using it on junebug that will it 'extract' the plates inside the holes and would damage the PCB.......but surely I'll give it a try...
Don't worry. It doesn't do that. It just pulls the solder out. I make enough mistakes to know for sure. :p They're a vital tool to have in your arsenal.

Astonishingly, I find that MCLR* (pin1)is left open in the design of Pickit2.
it is possible that it can misbehave. is there any thing wrong in pulling it UP with say 5K6 resistor?

I suggest you try studying the datasheet, many PIC's can have MCLR connected internally (like the 16F628) and the external pin can be reassigned as extra I/O (although it may be input only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back