Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarelecdude

Hi I'm new to the forum. I was looking at a schematic and saw a symbol of a resistor with a circle around. Above it it says TR1. If someone could tell me what this is it would be great!

Hi, guitarelecdude! Welcome to ETO! :)

My guess would be that it is a thermal resistor. What kind of circuit is it in? An image would be very helpful in this case.

Der Strom

It could be a thermistor.

It's one of these: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=490-3960-ND

Call it an "Inrush current limiter", or NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) Thermister or "Thermal resistor"

When cold, the device has a higher resistance than warm. They are selected based on expected current.

Many moons ago, I remember them being called "Globar Resistors" and they were found exclusively in the degausing circuits of Color TV's. They were a common component at the Electronics Store.

I have another question if you're willing. Also on the schematic there are spots where the line stops at a dot and says some number with a "j" in front of it, for instance, "j46" I looked all over the schematic and cannot find where they are supposed to connect. I don't get it.

This one may be harder.

J could stand for Jumper.

J46 can also refer to Jack 46. This would mate with P46

It may also refer to a Test Point, J46 is just a signal on the board that needs to identified for probing. Usually they are labeled TP1 etc. though.

My best guess is a Test Point. Post a pic of the board. if you just joined, it may take 24 hours or so and links could be stuck in moderation. Use go advanced/manage attachments.

They look like female connectors, if you ask me. The wires terminate in a rectangular-shape, probably signifying the position of an external connector.
Der Strom

Last edited:
Yep wierd. Non standard. They appear to refer to "breakaway" portions of the circuit. They may have been created to keep some PCB design rules happy. Nonetheless, they mate with -1 or +1 of the designation. P and J may have made more sense, but they might be just wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back