Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown (to me) symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The same symbol is used in a whole bunch of different circuit (pseudo) schematics that I'm looking at; hence I didn't want to post a complete circuit as I don't want the discussion to be about any particular circuit.

I think the only interpretation is "a generic mosfet suitable for your specs for a circuit of this type".

Which is fair enough, but as I'd never seen half of the variations of mosfet symbols (enhanced bulk ujt etc.), I thought it worth asking just in case it was some obscure, but clearly defined animal.
the silicon must be doped with unobtainium...

Wow. You found a datasheet.
In that webpage, the symbol is just being used to represent a generic MOSFET. It's not suppose to represent a particular device. The circuits don't show anything connected to the gate, because that webpage is about the high-current parts of each converter, and the maths around that.

The circuits are not finished designs, they are just an indication of the topology of several types of converter.

Circuit diagrams omit detail in order to make the principle understandable. For instance, a circuit diagram will rarely show which wires have to take higher current, and if all the design details are added to a circuit diagram it will often become difficult to understand.

I think it is a good choice of symbol as it doesn't imply N or P type, and leaves the circuit diagram clearer for better understanding of the topologies.

I think it is a good choice of symbol as it doesn't imply N or P type, and leaves the circuit diagram clearer for better understanding of the topologies.
a lot of explanations of SMPS theory simply use SPST switches in place of the transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back