Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown DALLAS TO-92 Sensor inside a Xerox Photocopier (Workcentre 5020)

Willen

The Xerox Workcentre 5020 has a huge catridge and the catridge has a TO-92 component as attached image. The catridge just uses its 1st and second pins only. I tried to search its part number but unable to get detail datasheet. Do I have to say it's a secret part for Xerox by DALLAS?

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_132028.jpg
    IMG_20230425_132028.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
It may be a fixed "serial number" device or an EEPROM with an ID number and storage for number of pages printed or the date the cartridge was first used. It's either to stop you from using 3rd party cartridges and/or to decide when the cartridge may provide bad prints based on toner used or length of time the cartridge has been used.

Dallas has USB dangles and software that will tell you the device family if not the actual device.

Exactly the purpose For the Popcorn mentioned.
A Canon printer I used to have, had a very similar device which essentially bricked the printer, even though it was still working just fine.

OK, the datesheet said the device similar to this looks like "1-Wire EEPROM" and its application has "Ink and toner catridge indentification". Does this mean it just indentify the catridge OR it counts the printing copies, to brick the printer in certain time? Do I have to replace a new genuine cartridge of just the new TO-92 EEPROM component found somewhere?

The EEPROM will have some information stored in it. The first thing stored in it is some kind of ID to identify the type of cartridge. The other is some kind counter to keep track of number of pages printed or time or some other parameter to keep track of use.

The manufacturer wants to sell cartridges – they can claim it's to ensure print quality but we know otherwise. It won't be a simple task to determine what to program into a blank EEPROM.

The printer may work without an EEPROM, but if it does, it may complain every time you use it.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back