Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lprkon72

I have some type of solarcell-diode ,it looks like a 5mm led (it's not I've tried) when hooking this thing to a multimeter set for resistance unlike a photoresistor or phototransistor this thing will read 1m forward and 0 with leads reversed more like a solar panel I'm thinking I've answered my own question (what is this thing?) but nowhere can I find a solarcell in a 5mm led type pkg. Any clues identifying this part would be awsome.

IMG_20200429_200127106.jpg
IMG_20200429_195952082.jpg
IMG_20200429_200127106.jpg
IMG_20200429_195952082.jpg

Some kind of photodiode?

**broken link removed** - page 11.

It certainly looks like a LED, with different leg lengths to show polarity. Maybe the multimeter does'nt have sufficient voltage to check LED's which require at least 10 mA @ 1 volt.

With it showing resistance on a dmm one direction but none when hooked reversed I thought so to even set it in front of an ir Cam and nothing like I posted this thing tests exactly like a solar panel it shows voltage and when set for resistance it shows 1m resistance one direction and nothing with leads reversed

I have some type of solarcell-diode ,it looks like a 5mm led (it's not I've tried) when hooking this thing to a multimeter set for resistance unlike a photoresistor or phototransistor this thing will read 1m forward and 0 with leads reversed more like a solar panel I'm thinking I've answered my own question (what is this thing?) but nowhere can I find a solarcell in a 5mm led type pkg. Any clues identifying this part would be awsome.

Connect the short lead to 5 to 9v.
Connect the long lead to a 10k to 100k resistor
Connect the other end of resistor to ground.

- Measure voltage across the resistor,
- cover the device to exclude light, measure again
- Shine light on it and measure again.
(Make sure you are focusing light right into it from an LED flashlight).

If voltage changes, it is either a photodiode or an IR LED.

Now, connect the short leg of device to 0V, long leg to a 1k resistor and the other end of resistor to 5 to 9v

Measure voltage across Device. If 0.7 to 2volts, and no light is coming off of it, it is an IR LED.

If some color light can be seen when looking at the the flat surface, it is a standard LED (and voltage across the device will likely be 1.8 to 3.5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back