Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic circuit explination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

F5MGM3ZHRI93P17_MEDIUM.jpg

I know this is a very common circuit to build as a beginner but i cant get my head around it, this is my undertsnading so far:
the ultra sonic transmitter and reciever work as an object detection device, when the reciever is activated the small voltage travels to the 3 op amps and gets amplified to make the led come on which in turn makes the relay switch on, but i am having trouble with the need for the 555 timer, i have simulated this circuit and i still cant understand what it does, i understand the normal operation of a 555 timer which has possibly confused me more.
any advice or infomation on this would be much appreciated

Dale

hi Dale,
This circuit appeared on another forum site, its totally useless and will not work as described or as drawn.
Trying to contact the 'designer' [I use that term loosely] is a waste of time. no response.!

Eric

The 555 is an oscillator driving the two transistors which form a basic amplifier to drive the ultrasonic transmitter.

Having said that, there are several things about that circuit which make me think that it was drawn by someone who does not know what he is doing.

JimB

EG, good to see that we are in agreement on that circuit! :eek:
JimB

thanks guys, i was having doubts myself, i had simulated this circuit and couldnt get it to work how i was expecting to too, back to the drawing board again i think

why would he need an amplifier to drive the transmitter?

thanks guys, i was having doubts myself, i had simulated this circuit and couldnt get it to work how i was expecting to too, back to the drawing board again i think

Hi,
This is a good question, he does not specify the types of ultrasonic TX or RX sensors, a high power TX would require a buffer amp.
He does not specify the LED, LDR Relay etc.....
The 9V batteries with this design would have very short life, also WHY is isolation needed to drive a relay.?

Eric
I have some LTSpice sims I did for anther OP trying to build this circuit, if you are interested.?

To give it more Oooomph!

More seriously, the characteristics of the ultrasonic transmitter are unknown.
It may need more power to drive it effectively than can be provided by the output of a 555, especially a low power cmos version (7555) used in that circuit.

JimB

ive done a bit of research and found the reason for the 555 which i wasnt understanding, its to create the needed 40KHz which is now obvious,

I dont have LTSpice i use livewire for my projects, i havent used LTSpice so i dont know much about it. would you reccomend it? and do you know where i could get it from?

Attachments

• SonicAmp5.asc
    5.9 KB · Views: 221
  • SonicRX1.asc
    5.9 KB · Views: 231
  • SonicRX1.gif
    SonicRX1.gif
    51.5 KB · Views: 349
  • SonicTX1.gif
    SonicTX1.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 250
these drawings are really helpfull and im getting there but im still unsure what the transistor pair section is doing, i have simulated again on this drawing and i can only see it inverts the output, am i right in thinking that and if so why would this be needed? thanks again

The transistors on the 555 output are supposed to be a push pull arrangement that could deliver more 'power' to the transducer than a 555 can supply.
The same circuit could use a 7555 which is CMOS version and has a lower drive capability than the 555 TTL version.

Again , not knowing details of the users TX transducer.?
E

amplifier.jpg

I have simulated this, it shows on the simulation that the 555's output is 9vish and when i use the 'boxed section' it only inverts the output.

i am confused about why this would be needed?

i am confused about why this would be needed?
hi dale,
My last post explains it.
Look and compare these two images, 555 and 7555, also tell what are drive requirements of TX transducer.?
Also on your sim compare the power level at the transducer with and without the buffer.

Attachments

• 555.gif
    555.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 7555.gif
    7555.gif
    10 KB · Views: 230
I should also point out the loading of the transducer on the output will also effect the 40KHz 555 frequency setting, as we dont know the transducer spec', the transistor buffer also isolates the transducer from pin #3.

EDIT:
Compare the two version, buffer, no buffer.
I have had to adjust the timing on the unbuffered version to get the frequency back to 40KHz, also note now the Mark/Space ration is no longer 1:1.

Also observe the power difference in the 470 load, the difference increases as the load resistor value is reduced.

Attachments

• AAesp06.gif
    AAesp06.gif
    56.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I wonder why the receiver transducer is connected directly to the 9V battery and ground?
If it is not connected to +9V then positive going input halfwaves turn on non-inverting opamp A which turns on non-inverting opamp B which turns off opamp C which turns off the LED.

EDIT: I forgot to say that 3 opamps are used in the receiving amplifier because the lousy old LM324 opamps have hardly any voltage gain at 40kHz.

Last edited:
Not Only is the 40 Khz Reciever at 9 Volts, So is the input at Pin 3 of the LM324.
Obviously this won't work as shown.

eric gibbs, your posts have helped me out alot, thanks alot :D

ill give it a go making it myself from scratch now its gonna be better for me to learn aswell

ill let you know if i get any problems ;) lol

Dale

Looking over that Schematic, There are Many Errors.

I'm considering to debug it and draw up a new, working schematic for it.
But not much time now as I am going for a holiday to Australia in another week from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back