Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ULN2803APG question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have connected 8x8 dot matrix to the breadbord with 2x 2803, and with 2x hc74595. That didnt work

And i have fiigured out why. When input on ULN2803APG is 5V, output is only 0.65V, and for matrix it should be 3V i think.
When i tried to connect only single ULN2803APG this way: PIN 1 and 10 to +5V, and PIN 9 to ground, output is also 0.65. Isnt it too low?

You have it mixed up, look at the schematic digaram in the datasheet. It is a low side NPN switch, so when input is 5V the output is grounded, otherwise it´s high impedance.

Shouldn't it be like a normal NPN transistor?

When base (input) is 1, output is +5V, and when input is 0, output is 0V

An NPN transistor doesn't do that.

With the ULN2803 when it turns on the output is connected to ground. 1 in, 0 out effectively.

Take a look at the datasheet for it and you will see the internal schematic, it's an NPN Darlington transistor with resistors so it can interface directly with a logic level ouput.

The ULN2803 has darlinton connected NPN transistors so its output cannot go to ground, instead it goes to +0.7V to +1.6V when its input is high.

Thank you all. I thought it is different. Now i have connected ULN2803 to catodes of my LED matrix, and it is working now. I guess i would need some other chip that can connect to +5V, like this drives to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back