Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART Communication between GSM and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAnkur

UART Communication between GSM and GPS

I want to establish a UART Communication between GSM and GPS.
The Supply Voltage of GPS is 3.3V.
The Supply Voltage of GSM is 3.8V.

The measured RX/TX Voltage Levels of GPS is 2.8V and 0V (for logic High and logic Low).
The measured RX/TX Voltage Levels of GSM is 1.8V and 0V (for logic High and logic Low).

Since there is a difference between RX/TX logic levels of the GSM and GPS, So I am
not able to establish the UART Communication between GSM and GPS.

Please suggest me a possible way to perform voltage (or Logic) level shifting.

A simple resistive divider to drop the 2.8V down to 1.8V (1K resistor and 1.8K for example) is all that's needed, the 1.8V up to 2.8V isn't a problem, as it should fall within the permitted range.

Or you can get specific level shifting boards, they use resistors as above downwards, and an FET upwards.

However, I fail to see what you're trying to do?, you need a micro-controller between them to process the data and instructions to both boards.

Thanks for your reply.....

I am using the interpreter present in the telit GSM module to process the inputs of the GPS. I am not using any micro-controller in between the GSM and GPS.

Thanks for your reply.....

I am using the interpreter present in the telit GSM module to process the inputs of the GPS. I am not using any micro-controller in between the GSM and GPS.

I wasn't aware they were programmable to that degree?, but if they are it makes things easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back