Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two regulator circuits off one transformer winding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDL2004

Hi,

I need an isolated 5 volt supply for a digital meter in a bench power supply project. I was wondering if it was possible to tap into the power supply transformer's secondary and connect a completely separate 5 volt supply for the meter, or an I going to have to fit in another transformer just for the meter?

The reason I ask is because space is getting very tight in the case and I'm not sure I can find a small enough transformer to fit.

I tried using a 7805 off the existing rectified and filtered supply, but that doesn't work right for some reason, the 5 volts out of the 7805 drops in half when the meter is connected.

The meter will work off the regulated voltage, but if the voltage is set below 5 the display gets dim and at very low voltage it shuts off completely.

Thanks for any help :)

- Rick

If I'm correct in what I think you're doing?, then the supply for the meter module needs to be completely floating from the main supply. You can either use a seperate transformer, or a seperate secondary winding on your main transformer.

Assuming you don't have a seperate unused winding?, then you need another mains transformer! - however, as it's only for powering the meter, it need only be a very small one.

I went through this years ago building a power supply at work, and ended bu adding another small mains transformer.

Well, I guess to explain better what I was wanting to do, is to run 2 rectifiers in parallel off the same secondary. About the only space I have to fit another transformer is on the left side where there is a area about 1" x 2" open (where the 7805 is now). Though I could probably redo the pc board, it's about 50% bigger than it really needs to be.

- Rick

Attachments

• dsc_0029.jpg
    dsc_0029.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 502
My suggestion is to wind some thin PVC wires or enamel wires on the toroidal transformer to give you another winding. It is very easy to do and you only need a few turns per volt. To test the idea just wound 10 turns and measure the AC voltage with a meter and work out the total turns required.

Fixed it

Thanks Nigel, you were right, two rectifiers works fine. I wired up a regulator circuit (bridge, filter cap and 7805) on a little breadboard and tapped it into the AC out of the main transformer. When I connected the meter to this separate supply it worked fine. The display is bright and the instability I was getting in the read out is gone.

It seems all it needed was better DC isolation, not total isolation. Specifically, these meters apparently do not like to share a common ground with the voltage they are measuring, even if the manufacturer says they will.

I don't really like this fix though because the 7805 is running kind of warm. I forget exactly what I measured but it's having to drop the voltage from over 25 down to 5.

I found a very small 5 volt 250 mA transformer at Mouser for under $3 and ordered one today. I think I'm going to go ahead and re-do the whole pc board. It was the first one I ever made and while it works, there's a lot of things that didn't turn out as well as they could have. Also, the mechanical part, the arrangement of the various components and controls could use a lot of improvements.

Thanks again guys for the help and info :)

- Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back