Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tweeter horn

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I asked before, would you sooner have one tweeter, or ten tweeters?.
What it does mean really?

The horns are designed to give a suitable dispersion pattern, it's not a problem.[/QUOTE]

Can you guys plz tell me what they mean by saying:
"""With no horn the cone movement increases 4 times for each octave decrease. With a horn the speaker cone movement is reduced to 2"""
in the below link plz? How what they are saying does work really>?!
**broken link removed**

A mid-range horn speaker sounds like a horn with a "honky" sound quality because it has many peaks and nulls in its frequency response.
It produces low and high frequencies poorly. Because the horn speaker diaphragm moves a small amount then distortion might be low if it is not boosted by the peaks in the response.

Last edited:
Can you guys plz tell me what they mean by saying:
"""With no horn the cone movement increases 4 times for each octave decrease. With a horn the speaker cone movement is reduced to 2"""
A horn loaded sub will load the speaker and reduce the cone movement needed for the same SPL as a front loaded sub speaker.

Thanks, But yet I do not know what they mean by this:
"With no horn the cone movement increases 4 times for each octave decrease. With a horn the speaker cone movement is reduced to 2"

I think apart from using or do not using a horn on a speaker the speakers cone must moves just according to the frequency of the signal. Am I wrong?

Suppose the input frequency is 1000Hz then the cone moves in accordance to this input frequency, If the frequency happens to be reduced to one octave (500Hz) the the cone moves in accordance to this later frequency no more no less, right?

Thanks, But yet I do not know what they mean by this:
"With no horn the cone movement increases 4 times for each octave decrease. With a horn the speaker cone movement is reduced to 2"

I think apart from using or do not using a horn on a speaker the speakers cone must moves just according to the frequency of the signal. Am I wrong?

Suppose the input frequency is 1000Hz then the cone moves in accordance to this input frequency, If the frequency happens to be reduced to one octave (500Hz) the the cone moves in accordance to this later frequency no more no less, right?

How FAR it moves depends on the volume, so with horn loading it will either move a lot less for the same volume or be a lot louder with the same power.

No it would have to move more because its a longer wave lenght.

How FAR it moves depends on the volume, so with horn loading it will either move a lot less for the same volume or be a lot louder with the same power.

Right, But they seem to tell that the NUMBER of moments in a speaker is different by using or do not using horns!

Nigel:

You misunderstood. The only way to get high voltage from a solid state amp is to buy a higher power amp. 5W tube amp can provide much more voltage than a 5 W solid state amp. In a solid state amp the voltage is clamped by design.

Take a tube amp and change the load to 10K, the voltage WILL be higher. Do the same to a solid state amp, nothing happens.

In order to drive a pair of electrostatic drivers say that need 100 V p-p and 0.1 A you either need a high power solid state amp JUST TO GET THE VOLTAGE or make your own specific to the load.

It seems to me 5 watts is 5 watts no matter where it comes from a solid state amp or a tube amp. You have to match the amp impedence to the horn or speaker impedence for it to be efficient.

I use to have a 120 watt solid state amp that worked just as well as my 120 watt tube amp. Both amps were 120 watts per channel. I could put my speakers on either amp as long as I had the speaker ohms matched to the amp output ohms they both sound the same.

Either amp will blow the roof off of the house.

It seems to me 5 watts is 5 watts no matter where it comes from a solid state amp or a tube amp.
A 5W solid state amplifier clips harshly when it tries to deliver more than 5W to its rated load impedance because it has its output voltage very well regulated (the voltage swing barely changes from rated load to no load) and its output impedance is extremely low.

But a 5W vacuum tube amplifier can deliver 10W or more with "graceful" distortion because its voltage regulation is poor and its output impedance approaches the impedance of its load.
Its output voltage swing is higher when its load impedance is higher. Therefore a speaker sounds boomy at its resonant frequency and midrange and tweeter speakers sound smeared.

A vacuum tube amplifier can self-distruct due to very high output voltages when its load impedance is high or when its load is disconnected.

There was mention of electrostatic speakers that are high impedance and need a high voltage swing. A high power amplifier is not needed to obtain the high voltage swing because most electrostatic speakers have a voltage stepup transfomer.

A 5W solid state amplifier clips harshly when it tries to deliver more than 5W to its rated load impedance because it has its output voltage very well regulated (the voltage swing barely changes from rated load to no load) and its output impedance is extremely low.

But a 5W vacuum tube amplifier can deliver 10W or more with "graceful" distortion because its voltage regulation is poor and its output impedance approaches the impedance of its load.
Its output voltage swing is higher when its load impedance is higher. Therefore a speaker sounds boomy at its resonant frequency and midrange and tweeter speakers sound smeared.

A vacuum tube amplifier can self-distruct due to very high output voltages when its load impedance is high or when its load is disconnected.

There was mention of electrostatic speakers that are high impedance and need a high voltage swing. A high power amplifier is not needed to obtain the high voltage swing because most electrostatic speakers have a voltage stepup transfomer.

That may be true. I had an 8 watt tube amps once if I turned it up past about 90% volume distortion was bad. With 120 amps they are never turned up to full power so I never notice any distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back