Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tv tuner for pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
ervinpm said:
the sole purpose is for us to understand the electronics and communication principles undergoing a tv tuner for pc... we would be evaluated if we are really worthy of a bachelors degree by giving us a project that will explain everything that we have learned in our curriculum...

It strikes me as a fine project for your degree, although I don't think you have grasped the complexities of the task? - although your tutor probably has, which is why he's happy about it.

Joel Rainville said:
[But what part of that project are you being evaluated on? You said in your first post that your instructor "approved your proposal entitled TV tuner for PC". Later in the thread, Nigel made you realize that you're probbaly going to have to use a commercial tuner. You are now considering using an I2C bus for some reason... Why not connect directly to the PCI bus? Why not reuse old PCI video cards components? Why not buy the latest ATI All-in-Wonder, scratch the logo off and call it your own?

It sounds like you're confusing 'tuner' with 'TV tuner', a 'tuner' is a component, just like a transistor or IC, and they are not expected to collect sand from the beach and make their own semiconductors (hopefully!). The 'tuner' is only one of the components used in a 'TV tuner', and a digitally tuned one (which is essential for this project) is controlled via an I2C bus.

This will need to be controlled via a micro-controller in the finished project, but for testing and design purposes it's easier to control it via an I2C interface from a PC. Once that's done and all working, you can then build a micro-controller circuit to do the same job.

There's an 'easy' I2C interface at the bottom of the PonyProg page .

can anyone here give me an exact schematic diagram of this tuner? coz i need to evaluate if the components are available in our country

ervinpm said:
can anyone here give me an exact schematic diagram of this tuner? coz i need to evaluate if the components are available in our country

You're looking at it the wrong way round, you need to find what tuners are available where you are (and, more importantly, that you can get datasheets for!).

hmm... i'm quite very confused, about the IIC bus? how does it work how could i set parameters and calibrate the tuner with it?

ervinpm said:
hmm... i'm quite very confused, about the IIC bus? how does it work how could i set parameters and calibrate the tuner with it?

If you don't even know what an IIC (or I2C) bus is, you're going to struggle with this project!.

It's a two wire bus for communicating between IC's, invented by Philips, and commonly used in TV's etc. The tuning IC in the tuner module will be setup via this bus, basically by setting it's division ratio - but you need the datasheet to know what you are doing. Depending on what IF and demodulation system you build, those IC's may also be connected to the bus, and need to be controlled as well. Each IC has a specific address.

You have at least a couple of major problems to tackle with your project. First is get the information to even begin to desgn the "TV tuner for PC" circuit. The second major problem is to obtain the parts to build this circuit.

With the limited time you have, I would suggest the shortcut technique that is often practiced in the industry. It's called "reverse engineering". You can purchase a TV tuner or two if you can afford it. Take them apart and research on the parts that were used to build it. Google the part numbers you get and often they will lead you to the manufaturer's sites which have suggested schematics and application notes.

Use this information and the parts you are able to salvage to build a tuner of your own. You might improve on the design in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back