Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tv aerial coax cable extension.. uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

We need to extend the TV end of the Aerial Coax cable by just 150mm, can we just solder on the extra cable or should we use coax connectors ?

By extra cable, do you mean extra co-ax cable? How are you going to solder the center conductor when you also need to solder the shield that wraps around it?

I would use correct impedance matched connectors.

Ron

Ideally you should use coax connectors.

However...

You could just splice on an extra length of cable, I have done this a couple of times "in extremis"

Make the joint as short as possible, less that one inch if you are dextrous.
Join the centre conductors, and insulate the joint.
Join the coax braid. If possible use a thin copper sleeve, if you cannot make a sleeve make the braid into two pigtails and join them, one on each side of the cable.
Use the correct impedance low loss coax for your extension.

Good luck.
If it does not work, use coax connectors.

JimB

Assuming the connectors are the standard Belling-lee connectors (You have not specified the type.) you can get ready made extension cables such as this one. You will probably not get one as short as 150mm. The only other type of connector I have seen used for TVs is the "F" type connector but that would be unusual. "F" connectors are normaly used on the cable between the LNB and satellite receiver.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back