Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turning Transistors On and Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that turning on the transistor is easy enough if you apply power to the base. But i wanted to know is it possible to turn off the transistor has already been switched on and how?

Or is it just as simple as taking away the power from the base

I know that turning on the transistor is easy enough if you apply power to the base. But i wanted to know is it possible to turn off the transistor has already been switched on and how?

Or is it just as simple as taking away the power from the base
Yes that simple

It depends on what course you've done?

An SCR can't be turned off as easily, the cathode current needs to drop below the minimum holding current before it turns off.

If you are interested in how rapidly the transistor turns off, it is a little more complicated. In addition to the resistor that feeds current into the base, there should also be a resistor from base to ground to help discharge the base to emitter capacitance. The transistor turns off faster if there is an Ohmic path to from base to emitter or base to ground.

Last edited:
If the output driving the transistor is push-pull such as a microcontroller, a 555 or a logic gate, you don't need a base-emitter resistor to make it turn off quickly because it will short it anyway.

BJT yes that simple, amplifies current, no current into the base, then no current from collector to emitter. Mosfet no, will stay on for indeterminate amount of time till charge leaks out. To turn off, for N mosfet, pull the gate to ground. If you are interested in turning things off fast, most of the time u want to be using a mosfet. If you must use a BJT, then lookup a baker clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back