Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to fix remote for Sony TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the end of remote saga. :stop:
I have tried to solder copper tape to trace, but with no success. Tape came off beacuse of iron heat, and I couldn't hold it in place, it was just too small. Perhaps I should've used super glue.
I decided to use 1/4 watt resistor of 100 Ohms and I joined it from lower trace to left leg of transistor. Because of that I couldn't use mute button because resistor is over the button switch

You should have just used tiny wire ended resistors, as I suggested way back - 1/4 watt is far too large.

Funnily enough, I've got some 4.7K 0.4 watt thin film resistors, and they are absolutely tiny - I ordered them by mistake :D

Now on that page they don't look tiny, which is why I mistakenly ordered them, but look at the specs in the datasheet:

Only 3.6mm x 1.6mm

You should have just used tiny wire ended resistors, as I suggested way back - 1/4 watt is far too large.

Funnily enough, I've got some 4.7K 0.4 watt thin film resistors, and they are absolutely tiny - I ordered them by mistake :D

Now on that page they don't look tiny, which is why I mistakenly ordered them, but look at the specs in the datasheet:

Only 3.6mm x 1.6mm

There wasn't any available in electronic shop.
Too bad I couldn't solder tape to trace, I would've easily solder SMD resistors, now I know how.
I did solder top SMD 2R70 though, but it seems like pad wasn't conducting, probably top layer lost conductivity or something.

I could've done this also: solder SMD resistor to left leg and solder jumper wire from resistor to trace, that would be better.

You learned something.

Recently, I "tried" to replace a soldered in battery in a toothbrush. I'm pretty sure the result will be toast. I had troube getting it apart an thus the inductive charging coil wire broke. there were no + and - markings on the PCB, so I added them. there were no +and - markings on the battery and I didn't add them. The brush moved a little. The tabs had to be cut. The exact battery would have had a littl trouble installing backwards. I did install the battery backwards. I tried to chemically strip the enamel insulation to the charging coil unsuccessfully.
Once I get that done, I'll solder the coil. Charge overnight and see what happens. I suspect, I just contributed to my education.

You learned something.

Recently, I "tried" to replace a soldered in battery in a toothbrush. I'm pretty sure the result will be toast. I had troube getting it apart an thus the inductive charging coil wire broke. there were no + and - markings on the PCB, so I added them. there were no +and - markings on the battery and I didn't add them. The brush moved a little. The tabs had to be cut. The exact battery would have had a littl trouble installing backwards. I did install the battery backwards. I tried to chemically strip the enamel insulation to the charging coil unsuccessfully.
Once I get that done, I'll solder the coil. Charge overnight and see what happens. I suspect, I just contributed to my education.
Definitely, I learned a lot from this remote.
I have found out what's wrong with it by myself, after some time spent learning how things work, and how to check components, traces...
Also, I've run into SMD soldering for the first time.
By the way, I was unlucky that my multimeter needle wire broke also, so I soldered that too also.
All in all, I have gain some valuable experience, and hopefully will be easier next time.
I am thankful for the support from the forum members, it's really a great place for looking help.

i was also going to mention that some sony remotes are "multi-device" remotes, so the same remote that operates the TV can be changed with a couple of keystrokes into a DVD remote, etc... there's a reset for those remotes to put them back in TV mode, but it's been so long i have forgotten the reset sequence... but i do know if the remote is in DVD mode, or whatever others available it won't turn the TV on... these days however, turning the TV on will also turn on whatever is connected to the selected HDMI input, so the multifunction remotes aren't as common.

i was also going to mention that some sony remotes are "multi-device" remotes, so the same remote that operates the TV can be changed with a couple of keystrokes into a DVD remote, etc... there's a reset for those remotes to put them back in TV mode, but it's been so long i have forgotten the reset sequence... but i do know if the remote is in DVD mode, or whatever others available it won't turn the TV on... these days however, turning the TV on will also turn on whatever is connected to the selected HDMI input, so the multifunction remotes aren't as common.

As far as I'm aware Sony have never supplied multi-function remote WITH equipment (and I was a Sony service agent for a Sony main dealer) - but they did sell multi-function remotes as accessories, for use as replacements for faulty or lost remotes, and you could set those to work as TV, DVD, or whatever Sony remote.

Many Sony remotes though do have a button or two for other functions, like the DVD one I'm currently sat next to has buttons for on/off, volume, mute and AV selection for Sony TV's on the DVD remote. Likewise TV remotes commonly have play buttons etc, so either can give minimal functionality from the one remote.

As for HDMI CEC - in general it's absolutely best to turn it OFF - and you certainly don't want it doing the power control, it's an absolute nightmare (thanks Sony and Panasonic!).

As for HDMI CEC - in general it's absolutely best to turn it OFF - and you certainly don't want it doing the power control, it's an absolute nightmare (thanks Sony and Panasonic!).
yes... i agree... it might have sounded like a good idea when they thought it up, but it caused tons of headaches.... it was the number 1 cause of NDF (no defect found) service tags at the service center i worked at...

yes... i agree... it might have sounded like a good idea when they thought it up, but it caused tons of headaches.... it was the number 1 cause of NDF (no defect found) service tags at the service center i worked at...

As someone who's installed hundreds (probably thousands?) of TV's an important part of the install procedure was to turn off all the unwanted crap that's ON by default - CEC among them :D Another was automatic brightness - it's been a complete disaster on every set fitted with it since the 50's, why do they thjink it's a good idea again now?.

So you're watching a DVD, and think "I'll go and watch the news on the TV now", so you turn the DVD Player OFF - and the stupid TV goes OFF as well!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Merry Christmas!.

So you're watching a DVD, and think "I'll go and watch the news on the TV now", so you turn the DVD Player OFF - and the stupid TV goes OFF as well!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I don't have a problem with that, I don't watch DVD's and I don't watch the news, and my DVD player is broken. :smug:
Maybe I will open new topic "Trying to fix DVD Player". :)
I wonder what horror will PCB be turned into.
It's actually DVD recorder 15 years old, and it doesn't play/record anymore, it's probably dead laser or similar.

I have done rework of remote fix, and this time I have fixed it properly.
I didn't have proper tools for SMD before and I soldered resistor over the Mute button which I couldn't used then.
I have bought new soldering station ZD-99, 4 new tips, 0.5 mm solder wire, tweezers, flux for SMD and IPA.
These tools enabled me to do a much better soldering then before.
I can use now Mute button too on a remote.
This is the rework:

remote.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back