Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triac, Optoisolator, Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your above link shows an optoisolator with NPN output transistor suitable mostly for DC circuits.

I think you have already figured out the answer "NO" yourself, as you have been asking about optoisolated TRIAC in another post.

To control a TRIAC using signals from a microcontroller, the easiest way is to use an optoisolated TRIAC, such as the MOC301X or MOC302X series. If one want zero-crossing switching feature, then there is another series that suits too.

Thanks for the help
i did start looking for the MOC3022, i ordered a bunch so i can give them a try.

Ill use the old ones i have for switching a DC load, i can use them at for LED switch or valve control.

Is there an advantage to using the zero-crossing, im not totally sure what exactly it does or its purpose?

Thanks agian
josh

joshua17ss2 said:
Is there an advantage to using the zero-crossing, im not totally sure what exactly it does or its purpose?

That depends on the load you are controlling.

With Zero-crossing switching OptoTriac, even you have already provided current to the LED anytime during the cycle, the internal TRIAC will only switches on the external load when the AC voltage passes zero point and the conduction will be for a single half cycle, or many half cycles if one maintains the LED current. Therefore if one controls how many half cycles to go to the load then one can control its overall power received. Switching at zero crossing also reduce the switching noise associated with mid waveform switching and simplify any noise filtering requirement. Its very good for resistive load.

However, if it is a light bulb, then zero crossing switching will induce flicker and is not acceptable at all.

You can get more information via Google search.

Basically what i was aiming for was a cheap alternative to a SSR, i will only be running lights and valves with these, i think i finally have the right parts for the jobs, i got 50 of the moc3022, and some 200 volt 1 amp, sensative gate triacs

Thanks for all the help

Just be sure your AC voltage doesn't connect to the microcontroller, or it will quickly terminate your test, if not your eyesight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back