Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefridge

Hello good people,
I am a first year mature student who has his first project to do and have been give the task of doing up a technical report on transistors. I have started it and am going along nicely until i came up against safety.

I have tried to research safety and handling online and can't find anything at all. Can someone point me in the right direction. ??

Thanks

I am looking to see if there is anything I can write under the safety heading for transistors. Is there anything dangerous about them, can they explode etc. Or is it just the normal safety procedures for dealing with all circuts.

usually they will explode due to over voltage or wrong polarity..etc, but they will not explode like an electrolytic capacitor does.. Make sure that you apply proper current and voltage and alway double check the polarities(pins) are correct! And also download datasheet before using them etc..

I have tried to research safety and handling ...
Can someone point me in the right direction. ??
Try looking for ESD, Electro-Static Discharge.
This is something which can cause big problems when transistors and integrated circuits are not handled and stored correctly.

JimB

Thanks for the replies, Another question. I have a section for part numbers, The report is only to be a maximum of 2 pages long and there are many part numbers. Any suggestions ??

Remember that their are bipolar silicon transistors which have virtually no handling precautions except maybe storage temperature. Early transistors were germanium, but you don't see these anymore. Then their are FET's which are susceptible to ESD and finally MOSFETS which may be less susceptible to ESD. 2N3055, 2N3904, 2N2906, J174, IRF44 are suggested common numbers.

In some cases handling may require you to not put fingerprints on the leads due to the oils on your finger being corrosive.

Actually there is one hazard I can think of; Beryllium Oxide.
This is often associated with older RF transistors.

Thanks for the replies, Another question. I have a section for part numbers, The report is only to be a maximum of 2 pages long and there are many part numbers. Any suggestions ??

Well, you could put in a long list of part numbers, but that would be boring and pointless.

Better to explain that there are several numbering systems in use: the American standard (2Nnnnn), Euro standard (BCnnn), and the Japanese system (2Sxnnnn), as well as a few other oddball ones. This is for BJTs (bipolar transistors): FETs and MOSFETs are all over the place.

Try browsing through the site of a big electronic vendor, like Digi-Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back