Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me with this project

new to learn

So recently my teacher gave us an assignment that we must make a circuit board using a really old chip named 8086 on Proteus. And we choose to make a motion sensor with the sensor is PIR we thought it going to be easy but it actually too hard we don't know anything about this 8086 chip how to connect them please helpppp

I hope you have the CPU type number mixed up -

The 8086 is the CPU used in the first IBM PC. It's a rather early and primitive device and needs separate ROM, RAM and support ICs to be able to do anything useful.

The technical manual for that, with full schematics, is here:

See page 468 onwards.

You don't need all the disk controllers and such, but you would need the clock, memory, memory control & all decodes etc., and some I/O ports.

If you can't get the chip number right, then you're certainly going to struggle - as already said, an 8086 is an old microprocessor, and unlikely to be even covered by Proteus?.

You wouldn't be given an assignment to build a circuit using an 8086.

I hope you have the CPU type number mixed up -

The 8086 is the CPU used in the first IBM PC. It's a rather early and primitive device and needs separate ROM, RAM and support ICs to be able to do anything useful.

The technical manual for that, with full schematics, is here:

See page 468 onwards.

You don't need all the disk controllers and such, but you would need the clock, memory, memory control & all decodes etc., and some I/O portthere
So recently my teacher gave us an assignment that we must make a circuit board using a really old chip named 8086 on Proteus. And we choose to make a motion sensor with the sensor is PIR we thought it going to be easy but it actually too hard we don't know anything about this 8086 chip how to connect them please helpppp
Guys I am sure with you that the assignment required me to use a 8086 CPU I don't understand why our teacher make us use that junk instead of arduino pls help me thing are just too hard I don't understand anything about this cpu

I don't know I can still download a 8086 and put it in library and still use it normally
Assuming it emulates the processor correctly?, then you 'just' need to built a full computer round it - ROM, RAM and I/O - presumably google will provide some suitable circuits?. Although it's not a 'popular' hobbiest micro-processor, there seems a lot more interest in the 6502 and Z80. As far as I'm aware the 8086 is a fairly 'crude' design, and needs a lot more external hardware to run than those two.

Assuming it emulates the processor correctly?, then you 'just' need to built a full computer round it - ROM, RAM and I/O - presumably google will provide some suitable circuits?. Although it's not a 'popular' hobbiest micro-processor, there seems a lot more interest in the 6502 and Z80. As far as I'm aware the 8086 is a fairly 'crude' design, and needs a lot more external hardware to run than those two.
No dude the topic we was given is made a motion sensor using 8086 chip and PIR sensor

OK, 8086....

Some more schematics & info that may be useful.
Good luck! As well as the hardware design, you will then have to program it to start up, initialise the I/O hardware and actually respond to the PIR input signal!

OK, 8086....

Some more schematics & info that may be useful.
Good luck! As well as the hardware design, you will then have to program it to start up, initialise the I/O hardware and actually respond to the PIR input signal!

Thanks bro the program step I alr have chat gpt on it I just need to design thể pcb and trying to figure out which connect to which

No dude the topic we was given is made a motion sensor using 8086 chip and PIR sensor
Will either you've misunderstood it - or your teacher is an idiot :D

The 8086 is just a useless piece of plastic with 40 pins, until you add a great load more support components round it - rjenkinsgb's first link is way too scary, but the third one is something like you need - although a number of chips can be removed from it.

The circuit below is for a modern 6502 SBC (Small Board Computer), and is pretty well the minimum you can get away with, as I said before an 8086 is a much cruder device, and requires considerable more chips to make a minimum working system. A Z80 based SBC is fairly similar to a 6502 version.

You mentioned Arduino's earlier, an Arduino uses a microcontroller (usually from Atmel) and like a PIC has all the memory and I/O inside a single chip - with microprocessors all the memory and I/O is external, requiring extra chips.
1712931930523.png

Ikr he just
Will either you've misunderstood it - or your teacher is an idiot :D

The 8086 is just a useless piece of plastic with 40 pins, until you add a great load more support components round it - rjenkinsgb's first link is way too scary, but the third one is something like you need - although a number of chips can be removed from it.

The circuit below is for a modern 6502 SBC (Small Board Computer), and is pretty well the minimum you can get away with, as I said before an 8086 is a much cruder device, and requires considerable more chips to make a minimum working system. A Z80 based SBC is fairly similar to a 6502 version.

You mentioned Arduino's earlier, an Arduino uses a microcontroller (usually from Atmel) and like a PIC has all the memory and I/O inside a single chip - with microprocessors all the memory and I/O is external, requiring extra chips.
View attachment 145301
Ikr I can't even understand what in that guy head making us using a piece of junk that was made from million years ago instead of using arduino this guy from stone age or something

Ikr he justIkr I can't even understand what in that guy head making us using a piece of junk that was made from million years ago instead of using arduino this guy from stone age or something

I would imagine it's because your college still uses antique 8086 SBC boards, that they have had for decades (and aren't prepared to update). We get a lot of 8051 posts on here, for the same reason, mostly from India where they are similarly stuck in the distant past :D

But regardless, teachers don't assign random assignments when you haven't already been taught what you need to know, or given the research information to find it out.

I would assume the assignment is to use an existing 8086 SBC (or simulation thereof), and NOT a bare 8086 and having to construct your own SBC using one.

Latest threads

Back