Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor breakdown voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BC337 NPN rated 45v 500mA, I'm wondering will it be able to stop voltages above 45v when off or is the 45v rating similar to the breakdown voltage of a diode?

45V is the breakdown voltage of the part above which damage might be done to the part, so really this is no good for a 45V application. Generally I do not use components above 80% of their breakdown voltage and this should allow you enough margin to work with. Pick a higher voltage transistor (or a lower voltage application!)

Thanks, I was just wondering as I was designing a circuit where voltage along it is lower than 45v while on but can go above 45v at times while it's off.
I'll choose one with a higher voltage rating then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back