Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logging Voltage

Voltmanbucks

Hi I am volunteer at a Charity in High Wycombe called Central Aid. We PAT test white goods inclding electric cookers. The elements would often fail a PAT but need to be thermally conditioned by running for up to 30 minutes to remove moisture from the internal element insulation and reduce leakage current.

To do this we have a current leakage tester , the leakage is given by measuring a voltage across a resistor and converting that to leakage current in mA.

The voltage is shown on multimeter and ranges about 0-500mV. I observe the output for every element recording initial voltage, peak and ultimate stable value. The test can take over an hour for each appliance!

The voltage varies wildly in that range and can show a range of peaks before stabilising,

My question is would a budget multimeter oscilloscope record each test for me, voltage versus time in minutes, graphically in my absence so I can do other tasks?

And if so which make and model please?

Kind regards

Ian

I once experienced a major wine spill on a stovetop burner. It had soaked in over night.
I thought I could burn it off, instead it self-destructed acting like a sparkler and slowly burnt off off all the MgO from the spiral from the sugar in the wine as fuel.

View attachment 144685
I'm guessing there were other issues with that burner. Most modern stoves use a welded outer box-section alloy tube to encapsulate the sintered MgO insulator. Your welds were likely oxidized.

I'm guessing there were other issues with that burner. Most modern stoves use a welded outer box-section alloy tube to encapsulate the sintered MgO insulator. Your welds were likely oxidized.
This was several decades ago in a rental Appt. The element started burning from a hotspot and then outward in both directions, which continued without power.
1708893909815.png

Last edited:
Hey Tony sounds spectacular like November 5th ! Our donated cookers are sometimes old but not vintage with open spiral elements, sorry to disrespect your cooker! Also we we mostly drink the wine rather than pour it on the cooker;)

Love the radio technique!

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back