Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor As Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

azar_pisces

Hello
I was designing a light operated switch which uses optocoupler for isolation. in fact i am stuck at the calculations of transister which drives the opto. I need help to find out values for resistors R3 R4 and R7.Supply voltage is 5v

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
R7 = 4.7Kohm -> 1mA BE current
as the transistor is saturated, Vce=0.2V
Current through the LEDS should be around 10mA, thus R3=R4= 470ohm.

Thankyou for ur help.
Another thing I wanted to know is, will these values drive the transistor somehow deep into saturation?
I shall be happy if you may provide some maths formulae for calculations.
thankyou once again

Thankyou for ur help.
Another thing I wanted to know is, will these values drive the transistor somehow deep into saturation?
I shall be happy if you may provide some maths formulae for calculations.
thankyou once again

1. Determine the required collector current (Ic) when the transistor is in the ON state (the emitter and collector are short circuited).

2. From the transistor data sheet, determine the minimum DC gain (hFE) of the transistor at the value of collector current determined in step 1.

3. Calculate the required base current (Ib)

Ib=Ic/hFE

For power transistors, it may be wise to double or triple the calculated value of Ib because hFE drops to low values at very high currents and the data sheet does not show all values of collector current.

4. Calculate the base resistor value (Rb) from the voltage applied to the base resistor (Vb) and from Ib, calculated in step 3.

Rb=(Vb-0.7)/Ib

5. To drive the transistor deeper into saturation, reduce the value of Rb, taking care not to overload the source that provides Ib. However, driving deeper into saturation wastes power in Rb without gaining much reduction in the collector-emitter saturation voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back