Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Total Resistance in this Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelton

Hi all

I am very new to the field of electronics and would like to take it up as a hobby. Can someone tell me what the total resistance is in this circuit?

I calculated it by using all resistors in parrellel. Is this correct?

here is the schema:

**broken link removed**

Shelton said:
Hi all

I am very new to the field of electronics and would like to take it up as a hobby. Can someone tell me what the total resistance is in this circuit?

here is the schema:

**broken link removed**

There is no 'total resistance', the circuit has active devices (transistors), so the question is meaningless!.

well, you could measure the resistance through the battery clip...
Nigel, I used this method to measure the resistance in my spagetti 2.0/It pivots robot, to get 15k. It even has a comparator, and some transistors and some other stuff, so i guess you could!

Souper man said:
well, you could measure the resistance through the battery clip...
Nigel, I used this method to measure the resistance in my spagetti 2.0/It pivots robot, to get 15k. It even has a comparator, and some transistors and some other stuff, so i guess you could!

No, because you can't measure the resistance of devices than don't have 'resistance' - and what would be the use anyway?.

well, if it was extremely low, say around 0 it would indicate a short across the battery. It could also mean that if you had a somewhat low resistance, it could indicate a bad component. also I have done this before on my robot, which i reccomend that you read. It's called Spagetti 2.0/It pivots. You might enjoy reading it!

Last edited by a moderator:
In order for a short to appear across the supply terminals of that circuit, you would need to have s/c resistors as well as transistors. Not to mention the diodes. I've never ever experienced an s/c resistor and infact I don't think it's possible to acheive with modern resistors.

Brian

Can someone tell me what the total resistance is in this circuit?
A better question would be; how much current will this circuit draw?
Since only one, lets assume RED, LED will be on at one time:
(9V - 2V) / 470:eek:hm: = 14.9ma
Since each transistor base-emitter junction drops 0.7V and there is a 10K resistor on it:
(9V - 0.7V) / 10,000:eek:hm: = 0.83ma
So, 14.9 + 0.83 + 0.83 = 16.56ma
The current draw is an approximation because of the dynamic nature of the circuit. (I did not try to account for the charge/discharge of the capacitors or the Vce voltage drop in the circuit, but it is close enough for hobbyist purposes)

ThermalRunaway said:
In order for a short to appear across the supply terminals of that circuit, you would need to have s/c resistors as well as transistors. Not to mention the diodes. I've never ever experienced an s/c resistor and infact I don't think it's possible to acheive with modern resistors.

No, I don't think it is? - although I have known very old resistors (in valve circuits) go low resistance - basically getting too hot and the resistance dropping, this causes it to get even hotter and the resistance drops still further.

ThermalRunaway said:

Brian

Brian, I was referring to self solder jobs. It is quite easy to get lost and accidently connect the negative and positive buses together, creating a short circuit. That is what i meant. Sorry for the confusion.

CHECK OUT MY NEW PASTA BOT!!!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!

Shelton said:
Hi all

here is the schema:

**broken link removed**

Well shelton, I would Reccomend reading and studying this website, its very good!

www.kpsec.freeuk.com

Exactly as Kchriste said. Calculate the current drawn by the circuit and since you know the voltage supplied to it you'll have your equivalent resistance. Its simply a Thevenin equivalence problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back