Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Total Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

white_rabbit_

Hi

I'm an IT engineer with an interest in home brew wifi. I've always wanted to build a wifi robot but I am utterly lost when it comes to robotics so I wonder if any of you guys could point me in the right direction for a good starting point.

My initial needs are pretty simple, I want to drive a couple of motors off my PC, I want to build a basic PC controlled car with a moveable camera. The PC side is simple enough, I've a fair amount of experience with ITX boxes and would run this all from a standard VIA Mini-ITX board running Linux or Windows at a push. What I am stuck on is the robotics controller... and I mean totally stuck.

Can anyone recommend a cheap / half decent controller board, something to drive 4 wheels and a cam? I am no developer, so I really need one that comes with the drivers and software bundled.

Many thanks :)

It was by White robots and was the whole deal. Case, motors, camera. Looks like heathkit bought them out.

Problem with a PC chassis is good computing power. Poor I/O and power consumption.

Well the power is obviously an issue and I'll go with a car battery - this adds weight, but that's not a major concern at this stage. As for computing power, I reckon an 800MHz, 1GB RAM system running a cutdown version slackware will handle the software easily enough, though I may opt for a gumstix job instead. The ITX box consumes about 15W, the motors and USB devices will obviously chew up a fair bit more, but I should be able to get a good few hours out of a decent car battery. Might even hook up a solar trickle charger for it.

The chassis I will make myself.

What I need is just a decent USB robot interface card capable of driving 5 motors, the rest I can handle. I've looked at a few online, bought one, blown it up and am really wondering if anyone else has any direct experience. It's fairly elementary stuff I would have thought?

Does it really need to be USB ? because thats going to be difficult and costly. Just easy to use a computer with a parallel port instead and build a h-bridge yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back