Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toshiba DVD D-R5S fried due to a power surge ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyC

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm posting thins in an appropriate area. (Unfortunately, I' don't really see a forum for DVDs, etc. anywhere else.)

I have a Toshiba DVD-R (D-R5S) which has been working flawlessly for about a year. I have a cable signal, which ports to the DVD-R via 3-wire (R/W/Y), and the DVR-R ports to a Toshiba color set also w/ a 3-wire.

Recently, we had a sudden power outage in the middle of the day which lasted 3-4 minutes. When the power resumed, there may have been a surge. All I can tell you is that since then:

A) I get no signal; from the DVD-R (only show appears on the TV set, w/ "CABLE 3" in the lower right-hand corner, which signifies that the TV is set to channel 3 (which it should be) and it's getting/expecting a cable signal);

B) It won't play a DVD (doesn't display anything on the screen, though I can see the elapsed timer incrementing), and

C) I can't even get the menu screen to appear!

When I called Toshiba, they suggested doing a "reset" using the remote:
Zoom 7 0 1 Zoom

Unfortunately, this had no effect.

My question is:

Does it make sense that a power surge is what caused this problem? Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

Any help is appreciated.

Its really hard to say, but the fact that it worked before this happened, and now it doesnt is a dead give-away.
Often power outages are preceeded with a power surge that I think probibly does more damage than an outage.

You make a good point, rfs100. But I wonder what (specifically) may have "fried" during the power surge. Is there any component one could point to that's especially vulnerable to such an event. That's what I''d like top get a handle on ...

I somehow doubt the power supply was effected since the unit does at least come on in an idle mode (and plays DVDs without sending good signal to output.

It 'may' have just trashed the memory of the unit, but it depends if it's easily upgradeable or not. Certainly some of the Sony units can't be upgraded, except at the factory, once it's been messed up.

This is a 5 year old unit, that didnt exactlay have stellar reviews, even when it was new:

Toshiba D-R5 - DVD Players - CNET Archive

Its last suggested price (assuming you can find one) $ 61.00

Time to tell the wife its time for a new DVD player. Bid a fond farewell to an old friend that gave you so many hours of enjoyment.

Last edited:
rfs100 makes some practical points. In the posted review, only on of the 3 were really negative but it is, after all, discontinued. Interesting about the "$61" - 3 1/2 years ago, we paid $160 + tax for the new unit. Original listing is here:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=d-r5

One thing I never liked about it (and didn't discover until long after I had it) is that you can't watch channel A on the TV while recording channel B (in the background). The TV has to be set on the channel to be recorded - no other option.

As you say, maybe it is time to get a new (& better) one. And a good power surge protector, too! Can I get an amen on that?

Im not certain where I ound the $6.00 price, it may have been an estimation of how much the unit SHOULD cost NOW, if you could actually find one.
Im not certain that a new unit will necessarily have any better Brownout protection, tons of pople on here asking how to fix items effected by Brownouts...best to additional to all electronics you hold dear.
Luckily, a equivelent unit, or better can be bought now for a fraction of the price. I currently own a Sony DVD that was bought at Wally-World for the Princely sum of $15.00

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back