Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tiny valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
@throbscottle: good idea I will try that, well if I can find one that isn't being used :)

is there anyway of controlling the movement of droplets of liquid? like threw electricity or something like that? I've searched around but I can't find anything that will work on such a small scale.

mrn,
In all this, you haven't stated what you are really trying to accomplish.
It's often easier for us the help solve your problem, than help solve you solution. ;)
Ken

Just a simple valve that is really small that takes under 5v 1amp to operate. Its a fluid valve for fluid about the consistency of milk

But, things like input fluid pressure, input/output tubing size, flow rates...?

Ken

@pommie: Those would work but are to big for my project at least for the valves, but might come in handy in other areas, Ill keep these in mind.

@Kmoffet: I'm not sure about the pressure, tube sizing, etc. yet.

@Kmoffet: I'm not sure about the pressure, tube sizing, etc. yet.

It seem strange that you can't provide any more details about your application, yet keep finding a fault with each suggestion that people post.

Have you talked to the application engineers at Lee: **broken link removed**
If they can't come up with a product to meet you vague requirements, maybe they can suggest an alternative vendor.

Ken

@Kmoffet: I'm just not sure what the details are yet, I just need a overall way of controlling fluid like a valve.

What about using magnetohydrodynamics? so a tiny little mhd pump?

Last edited:
@pommie: Those would work but are to big for my project at least for the valves, but might come in handy in other areas, Ill keep these in mind.

Looking at the picture it looks like it will fit in your 1/2" square space by removing the mounting holes.

Mike.

@pommie, they are close to the size, i actually need 1/8th of a inch. I apoligize if I didnt mention that in the first post.

@BeerBelly, those would work well, I could only find one place selling them for $36.00 the other places needed like a email/quote thing.(which I guess I could fill out) :)

I sent info about the lee 120 series solenoid valve its about the size of a pencil tip.

I also wanted to note I do appreciate all of your guys help, I don't mean to shoot down every suggestion.

@panic mode, even with the ball being forced down by gravity, I am still having leaking problems.

how smooth are the surfaces (funnel and ball) and are they really round? what is the pressure differential?

Just to test it out I got a old plastic cutting board, drilled a small hole in it, then took a pair of scissors and twisted them inside of the hole, to get that funnel shape, then I used a bb for the ball inside.

There wasn't much pressure I just placed 2 or 3 drops of water over the hole.

Thats the tricky part, getting something smooth enough.

I got some info back on the those lee valve, they are very very pricy.

My other question is, after the electromagnet is shut off, it still is somewhat magnetic and so it holds the little metal piece, how would I go about degassing all the coils fast enough so that the metal pieces will drop back into there holes?

My other question is, after the electromagnet is shut off, it still is somewhat magnetic and so it holds the little metal piece, how would I go about degassing all the coils fast enough so that the metal pieces will drop back into there holes?

Similar arrangement to a TV degaussing circuit perhaps? Maybe with a coil per group of however many valves instead of one big one?

What constitutes the valve? A steel bearing?
If so, you may use a skin of paint on the bearing or magnet to keep it from sticking.

its just a tiny piece of metal in a tubular shape about, 1/16th of a inch long and a diameter of about 1/32th of a inch.

but wouldn't the magnet still be able to keep the bearing there unless a thick enough piece of skin, also it would make it harder to pick up. But I will experiment with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back