Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time Delay Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyWow

I have a computer system with a device on a 5V standby (two wires - ground and possitive). I need to delay the 5V standby power to this device when I power up the system. In effect, I want the system to have power for 2 to 3 second before the device receives the 5V standby power. Ideally, I would like to splice the delay ciruit in the positive wire. I believe I need and RC circuit, but I'm not sure. Can you recommend a circuit?

Russlk said:
How much current does your device draw? An RC delay would not be practical for more than a few microamps. A 555 timer could be configured to delay 2 seconds.

I believe it is about 50-100mA. Not much.

This should work. If you want something simpler, but with looser tolerance, we could use a p-channel MOSFET, a resistor, and a capacitor (and a diode for fast recovery at turn-off).

Attachments

• delayed_pwr_on.gif
    delayed_pwr_on.gif
    7 KB · Views: 798
Ron H said:
This should work. If you want something simpler, but with looser tolerance, we could use a p-channel MOSFET, a resistor, and a capacitor (and a diode for fast recovery at turn-off).

Don't you intend positive feedback for hysteresis? 1 Meg going to -ve.

Optikon said:
Ron H said:

I don't understand your question. :?: :?:

Its 1M resistor provides lots of positive feedback for hysteresis.

Ron H said:
Optikon said:
Ron H said:

I don't understand your question. :?: :?:

whoops nevermind, I thought the 1 Meg was going to the inverting terminal.. upon closer inspection, I see that the it is going back to positive (for hysteresis). Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back