Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TI CC2510 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutty

Hey all

I have **broken link removed** from Texas Instruments.

CC2510 is basically a 2.4GHz transceiver and has 8051 microcontroller built into it.

Datasheet - https://www.lierda.com/upload/product/down_path/070122/0697720001169436793.pdf
Debug and programming Interface - https://focus.tij.co.jp/jp/lit/ug/swra124/swra124.pdf

Also I would like you to know that a development kit is available to program the mcu. But its too expensive. So, I wanted to program the mcu without it.
Could I do that without the kit?

Also, I have ATMega-16 ICs from Atmel with their programmer. Could I use that IC(ATMega16) to program 8051 mcu of CC2510 evaluation module?

What softwares would I need? Could I write a program in C for 8051, compile it, translate the compiled exe to hex and then transfer the hex to 8051 using my ATMega16 ICs?? If this is possible, kindly guide me through the process like what libraries would be reqd to write a program for 8051, how is it transferred using ATMega16 etc.

Any other suggestions for doing this are welcome. Please help.

Sure if you wanted to completely implement all that information they give you in the debug and programming interface manul yourself by hand. Sell the eval module and buy yourself Zigbee modules intead. A WHOLE lot cheaper.

now that i have bought them already, i dont see any point in not using them or wasting time in finding a buyer for these modules.

The debugging and programming interface doc seems to have all the information you need including some code examples. Get to coding =)

I have finished writing the required code and have converted it to a hex file but now I have come across a second problem.

As I don't have a programmer for the module I can't find a way to write the hex file to the flash memory in the module.
I have an atmega16(might need an atmega32 or higher but its pretty much the same thing) but no hardware description or schematics that might help in programming the flash using the atmega16. If you could give me some pointers I'd be very grateful.

I've tried looking for other options but somehow they've eluded me completely.
Another option if possible is that I could use the rs232 combined with an interface (a level shifter and charge pump) to transfer the hex file directly from my computer to the module, provided there is a software which can do just that.
Is this or the previous thing possible, if yes I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

I would STRONGLY recommend buying a programmer over building one.
SparkFun Electronics - AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer
That will program the Mega16, it doesn't list the Mega32 but the 32 is pin compatible with the 16 so it you should be fine with it.
Cost is only 13 bucks plus shipping. You can find similar programmers on many other electronics resale sites.

The current top of the line development board (that I know of) from Atmel is called the Dragon which supports in circuit debug and emulation of almost the entire AVR line of products as well as a JTAG interface. The only caveat being that it comes as a naked PCB, meaning you have to solder on your own header connectors for everything but the jtag and ISP interfaces, that runs about 49$ US from Digikey, it's bus powered from the USB port, very compact board.

If you want other options let me know, but considering the cost of the cheaper ISP programmers and the reasonable cost of the Dragon along with its advanced features it makes it VERY difficult to justify building your own programmer. The leading cheap serial programmers are the "ponyprog" style programmers, of which the Sparkfun ISP unit for 13 bucks I linked above is part one of. These can't be made at home for the simple reason that the main part of the programmer itself is an AVR =) To get someone to send you a programmed chip would cost nearly as much as an entire pre-packaged unit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back