Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thinking about starting a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a 4 position rotary switch and two momentary buttons

The 4 positions would be
OFF
Run Down
HOLD
Run Up

When the switch is in the HOLD position, then the two buttons implement the Notch up and down functions.
Nice thought, but I'm after realism really... Well on the way so far with Jim's fantastic effort so far... Just need to figure a way to connect it to the game so it works...

Eric,
Please contact me via a "Conversation", look at the envelope symbol at the top right hand side of the screen.
JimB

Nice thought, but I'm after realism really... Well on the way so far with Jim's fantastic effort so far... Just need to figure a way to connect it to the game so it works...
Not a problem... As far as the game is concerned, it'll be the same as you pressed the keyboard.. We can map any key to any movement..

Jim/Ian, all the 32U4 (and SAMD) based Arduino boards (Leonardo, Micro, Esplora etc.) can mimic a keyboard and connect as a USB keyboard. The library is really easy to use and could make implication a lot easier.

Mike.
Edit, the Arduino Library.

Not a problem... As far as the game is concerned, it'll be the same as you pressed the keyboard.. We can map any key to any movement..
Ian...

what do I need??? The pace of this project has suddenly accelerated and I totally wasn't expecting it...!!! Jim has been in contact with me saying the switch will be ready soon but wiring the switch isn't his forte...
Jim/Ian, all the 32U4 (and SAMD) based Arduino boards (Leonardo, Micro, Esplora etc.) can mimic a keyboard and connect as a USB keyboard. The library is really easy to use and could make implication a lot easier.

Mike.
Edit, the Arduino Library.
Mike,

thanks for your input, do I just google "the arduino library???

Thanks again for everyone's help... :)

Eric

Just follow the link (in the edit), however, you don't sound like a software guy but if you want to learn then just go for it.

Mike.
Got it in one Mike... I'm definitely no software guy... Had a look at the library & my brain just imploded...!!! Might as well have been reading a Japanese newspaper!!! o_O

I'm hoping Ian can pull this off & get me out of the software hole otherwise this is dead in the water & it's all been for nothing especially with Jim's hard work making the switch itself...!!!

Hopefully that won't be the case because if we can pull this project off I think this will blow the Train Simulator community away!!!

Eric

I'm hoping Ian can pull this off & get me out of the software hole otherwise this is dead in the water & it's all been for nothing especially with Jim's hard work making the switch itself...!!!
Jim totterring about in his shed, will be honey on toast to him... Hard work! Well! maybe..

im/Ian, all the 32U4 (and SAMD) based Arduino boards (Leonardo, Micro, Esplora etc.) can mimic a keyboard and connect as a USB keyboard. The library is really easy to use and could make implication a lot easier.
I know.... Its the micro 32u4 I'm on about... I have already done it before...

Jim totterring about in his shed, will be honey on toast to him..
Hey, steady on! I am not quite that decrepit (yet).
Honey? Not so much, but I do have a penchant for a well filled bacon sandwich with a little tomato ketchup. Yum Yum.

JimB

Hey, steady on! I am not quite that decrepit (yet).
Honey? Not so much, but I do have a penchant for a well filled bacon sandwich with a little tomato ketchup. Yum Yum.

JimB
I prefer sausage myself with red sauce... For something a bit more exotic I'll add an egg, or going the whole hog, it'll be sausage, egg & bacon with red sauce of course...!!!

For a bacon sandwich, definitely red sauce.

But, for a plate of bacon, egg, sausage, chips and beans, HP Sauce is the condiment of choice.

JimB

Just goes to confirm my suspicions .. .. .. .. .. .. .

The Moderators on ETO are more Sauce than Source ! :D

S

Out of curiosity, is is possible to power a solenoid via USB power??? Reason being is if possible I'd like to try & include a prototypical interlock system on the power controller & reverser handles...

I think the real interlocking system is mechanical but I doubt I'd be able to make the necessary equipment / interlocks so come to the conclusion that it could be done electrically via solenoids...

Eric

As you have an Arduino, it could control a model servo to use as an interlock. It would probably need an external power supply.

Mike.

As Mike said... Just have a external supply... Just remember.. Solenoids are noisy, and will need substantial isolation or at least some sort of EMF control.

Depending on what's needed, You can get little solenoids ( it's all a relay is after all ) if you just need to hear a click..

Solenoids can be small like this one.

Sorry to be a pain & ask so many questions... could a switch like this:
Screenshot_20210826-111147_eBay.jpg

be converted from 3 positions to 2 positions??? I need a 2 position, 90° on off switch but the ones I've seen are stupidly expensive yet 3 position ones are relatively cheap...

Eric

As Mike said... Just have a external supply... Just remember.. Solenoids are noisy, and will need substantial isolation or at least some sort of EMF control.

Depending on what's needed, You can get little solenoids ( it's all a relay is after all ) if you just need to hear a click..

Solenoids can be small like this one.
Is there anything where I can use USB power??? Just trying to keep it as simple as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back