Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

They say that you can never go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks.

My name is Jim and I'm a life long nerd tinker.

I was a member of a now defunct forum for 14 years and I miss the daily interaction and banter among fellow nerds, helping when I can, and asking the occasional ridiculous, though I'd like to believe thought provoking, science oriented question.

I registered elsewhere, but frankly the community seemed a bit .. stuffy. Or maybe I was just weirded out being a newb again. I didn't think I'd necessarily fit in to a certain other audio place (although there is likely familiar faces there) - as audio really isn't my thing - and so now I'm going to try my luck here.

Hoping to hang out here and make some new mates, although I likely won't be able to spend the time here (life and all) that I once did elsewhere.

Jim.

Welcome, what are your interests? Digital? Programming? Analogue etc.

Mike.

Well, my "interests" went south with the AMC Gremlin. 70's date coded silicon. The 6502. Making a Commodore PET talk with a hacked Speak n' Spell. Nixie tubes and Decatrons. Pretty useless these days, and no time to catch up - but I still love the craft if not tending to turn my nose up at using a micro to flash an LED.

I decided awhile ago that a circuit built doesn't necessarily have to have a "purpose" beyond the enjoyment of creating it - something I call enginartistry. For example, a wrist watch constructed on a bit of fluorescent painted perfboard cut to fit a tin of smoked oysters riveted to a 1980's faux leather "Billy Idol" wrist band utilizing an HPDL 1414 and an RTC SRAM from a photocopier.

I suppose I've just reached that point where I no longer have to (pretend to be) serious.

Last edited:
Got on there during my divorce, lol - long nights at work. There to the very end.

Funny, "here" feels kind of like life at the moment. Newb here, and new job after 20+ years (layoff last August - now a marine fitter/mechanic) and a newb there again too. Feels weird going from strut to keeping my head down until I get to know the place.

This is a friendly place.
We have some respected Gurus in different sections.
We haven’t had any cliques or bad attitudes here in quite a while.

Nice to hear.

Although electronics has been a life long passion since I was shorter that the 60's defunct TV chassis my great Uncle Harold gave me to play with as a child - I would literally curl up to the thing and fall asleep after a long day of work hardening the components free - I really never became that good at it.

Well, I once thought I had. Before the internet I was the smartest electronics guy I knew. :D

I am a man of science in it's purest form. If I'm wrong, then I've just learned something. I have no ego to present and take no offence to being corrected.

Just looking for new like minded mates here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back