Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Query Regarding Thermal Printheads

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that involves thermal printing, and I've encountered a bit of a roadblock with the printheads.

Specifically, I'm struggling to understand the optimal operating temperature range for thermal printheads. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm curious about how temperature affects the print quality and longevity of the printheads.

Additionally, are there any precautions or maintenance tips to ensure the printheads perform efficiently over time?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that involves thermal printing, and I've encountered a bit of a roadblock with the printheads.

Specifically, I'm struggling to understand the optimal operating temperature range for thermal printheads. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm curious about how temperature affects the print quality and longevity of the printheads.

Additionally, are there any precautions or maintenance tips to ensure the thermal printheads perform efficiently over time?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help!

You need to melt the multilayer coating. The sensitizer layer is typically a high molecular weight ether that melts at about 100°C. The layer needs to be heated well above 100°C to make sure the leuco dye and the solid acid (BPA) melt into it and cause a change in color.
Heating the surface to 200 to 220°C is preferred and the high speed needed to print at a reasonable speed means you'll have to play a bit to get the heat to transfer to the sensitizer layer and let the other two layers to dissolve into it. You may need the "print head" (heater dots) to be 300-500° at high speeds - a brief touch of the paper will cause the change. On the other hand, to be safe, you may want to keep the print head under 220°C to avoid charring the paper (chars at 450°F - about 225°C).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back