Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Dunning Kruger effect has arrived on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say i am right now on phone (android + opera) and have no trouble using the site.

As tvtech said, you can only upload photos from the photo library - no access to "folders" on iOS where various document types are stored (pdf)

I just uploaded successfully a pdf test file from a tablet (Android. 8.1.0)
Deleted it later.
As I keep telling everyone, Apple doesn't play well with others. You used Android which explains everything.

Mike.

I know nothing therefore i know everything :)

Sad isnt it?

That's what all the kids who cannot afford to be important and use Apple products say.

"Sent from my iPad"

Apple are morally bankrupt, but only because consumers let them get away with it.
I/O ports and buttons/jacks, which have been a staple for eons, are deleted from a product without any cost reduction from the base price.
If you want those ports and other things back, you will have to pay a premium for them.
Got the step-daughter a MacBook Pro last week, as it's the specified hardware she will be using at her university and she wants to have her own machine, to use in her own time, instead of relying on the uni equipment. Brought it home and unpacked it, to find that there are no USB ports as standard - WTH? You have to buy an adapter, to give you back a port which should have been built-in as standard.

Crooked Bar-stewards!

there are no USB ports as standard

Sorry Mickster, you are just a bit out of date. They have USB C ports!

That's the latest and most versatile USB standard, which is gradually replacing the original USB A / USB 3.0 connector in new equipment. It has a maximum data rate of 10 Gbit / sec

Apple are actually standardising with what the rest of the computer and phone industry is now going for - the latest ipads have USB C rather than Lightning port, just the same as many newer Android phones; they now use USB C ports at well.

Adapters to older USB ports are very common and you can get them for next to nothing on amazon or ebay etc.
Ebay:

Or Amazon - Four for $5.99

For info, the USB C ports on the Apple Macbook are also dual standard with Thunderbolt - they operate at data rates up to 40 Gbit/sec.

Ah, guess I should have looked at it myself then.
We got it home and she disappeared into her bedroom to set it up, my wife went off to do her thing, and I went into my garage/cave.
I had previously ranted about Apple removing the headphone jack from iPhones, so when my wife messaged me that there are no USB ports and you have to buy an adapter to plug in a thumb drive, I (wrongly) took it to mean that literally......because they have form for doing that with the headphone jack. ;)

There is no reason they should not include at the least 1 standard usb port for convenience. Usb C is not standard enough yet to totally disregard the more commonly used ports just yet. Looks to me more like a company producing something and thinking to themselves, Who cares what consumers actually need, they will buy what I want them to!

There is no reason they should not include at the least 1 standard usb port for convenience. Usb C is not standard enough yet to totally disregard the more commonly used ports just yet. Looks to me more like a company producing something and thinking to themselves, Who cares what consumers actually need, they will buy what I want them to!

The fastest way to achieve change is to not accommodate previous technologies. Stop holding onto the past. Are you still looking for a component video port on your laptop? On your Raspberry pi?

The fastest way to achieve change is to not accommodate previous technologies. Stop holding onto the past.

Hmmm... sounds reasonable, but...
It isn't always true that new things are better than their predecessors.
When something works well, why replace it? Other than to sell more stuff, a marketing mans dream.

JimB

Hmmm... sounds reasonable, but...
It isn't always true that new things are better than their predecessors.
When something works well, why replace it? Other than to sell more stuff, a marketing mans dream.

JimB

As mentioned above, you can buy a 4-pack of usb c to other usb formats for $5.99.

"Marketing man's dream," ? Really - you think someone is getting rich selling a manufactured piece at a buck-and-a-quarter per unit with free shipping?

You can live the angry, conspiracy-theory filled life you want to live. Happiness seems so difficult for some people.

The fastest way to achieve change is to not accommodate previous technologies. Stop holding onto the past. Are you still looking for a component video port on your laptop? On your Raspberry pi?

If all my daily tools and gadgets used component video ports then yes that is what I would be looking for.

Why drop the headphone jack?
The only way to use non-Apple wired headphones, is to then purchase a lightning to 3.5mm adapter.
You are forced to buy something else.

As mentioned above, you can buy a 4-pack of usb c to other usb formats for $5.99.

"Marketing man's dream," ? Really - you think someone is getting rich selling a manufactured piece at a buck-and-a-quarter per unit with free shipping?
Gopher dear chap, please realise that I was generalising.
I know that nobody will get rich selling 4 packs of USB thingies, but as a general rule novelty sells.
Look at all the people queuing to buy the latest iPhone, does it really do so much more than their existing one year old phone? Probably not.

You can live the angry, conspiracy-theory filled life you want to live.
Angry, conspiracy theory, me? Nah.

Happiness seems so difficult for some people.
Not me, I am happy as a pig in straw.
(Or any other medium which makes pigs happy).

JimB

Not me, I am happy as a pig in straw.
(Or any other medium which makes pigs happy).

JimB

I used to have a pet pig named Bacon when I was younger. He was happiest with his face barried in a watermelon. He was also very fond of marshmellows. Didnt care much either way with his straw bedding. Funny thing tho, he would push it all out of his house when it was wet and spread it around outside the door. Then would push it all back in after it dried out.

Why drop the headphone jack?

Size and waterproofing, I believe. The first iphone without the headphone socket was also the first with any water resistance rating.

A large percentage of people use bluetooth for mobile listening.

The only time I've ever used the headphone socket on my phone is with some noise cancelling earbuds when on long distance flights.

I can get a bluetooth adapter for those for a few pounds on ebay to use them without a socket on a phone.

Or, Apple's own audio adapters for lightning ports or for the USB-C devices are less than 10- now anyway, it's not a lot if you really want to use a wired device directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back