Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Dunning Kruger effect has arrived on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lake Wobegon Effect
In the world of psychology, this is known as illusory superiority. However, it is better known as the Lake Wobegon Effect. This name comes from the radio variety show A Prairie Home Companion, which is set in a fictional town in Minnesota called Lake Wobegon, where “all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.”

The Lake Wobegon Effect
In the world of psychology, this is known as illusory superiority. However, it is better known as the Lake Wobegon Effect. This name comes from the radio variety show A Prairie Home Companion, which is set in a fictional town in Minnesota called Lake Wobegon, where “all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.”
I don't know anything about Wobegon, but I've heard "Woe betide" a few times....
;)

Wow, looks like I opened a huge can of worms.

TV tech, I was referring to the thread regarding windings and poles on an alternator.

The number of posters that ask a question so they can argue against the answers seems to be increasing. I blame the "no losers" culture.

Mike.

Not IMO Mike, there's far too much PC garbage currently going on.
If I am not up to scratch on something, it's a reasonable expectation to be told so, in order to go back and do some research and, you know, improve!
Being told that there is more learning required does not mean that you have to go to the designated school hidey-hole and seek the comfort of a 'blanky' because the nasty person hurt your feelings.
If you don't make the cut, it's up to you, to make sure you do the second time around.

I was an 'instructor' for some time on business machines , i always started my courses with ' Approach a fault repair thinking its never the board '

In my view (and knowing many Social Psychologists), they, in general, have more time than money ;) and the integral concept behind the "effect" is the claim that a particular phenomena exists which they use to describe a process ... that we observe as "very stupid" behavior. They do not, however, claim that the effect is at the root of all "stupidity".

Perhaps more controversial is the third point, the one that is the
focus of this article. We argue that when people are incompetent in
the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they
suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions
and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of
the ability to realize it. Instead, like Mr. Wheeler, they are left with
the mistaken impression that they are doing just fine. As Miller
(1993) perceptively observed in the quote that opens this article,
and as Charles Darwin (1871) sagely noted over a century ago,
"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"
(p. 3).

To the degree that there is such an effect, I wonder if it could also exists at an institutional level. I was thinking particularly of the Space Shuttle disaster and the revelation, fed to Feyman who dramatically illustrated the problem with the O rings. I remember reading the gross difference in the risk assessment (the probability of catastrophic failure) between "management" and "engineers".

I wonder if such a process will be uncovered with the Boeing software.

Mr jenkins, I think I know why us maintenance guys do that.
Its not an effect its a principle, the peter principle.

I got a good job at what i like its motor controllers plc and switch gear CT cabnients
Its good feeling to see the car wash come alive.
But dealing with people that know less then they think they do can drive you crazy.
New car wash is easy. We got into remodels
There a whole new story and lots of the Dunning Kruger effect going on there.

I had a whole wall of technical stuff to write about CRT and my technical e UIzxperiences.

Site won't allow it due I don't know what. ETO not Mobile friendly. I've latest Android Pie 9. ETO is loosing out big time on visitors not being able to post questions...and provide stuff to download here from their phones that they already have saved to prove that done some research. And not just waiting for our smart answers.

How do I know?

Because I'm on mobile now. And it's not looking good. I can pictures 100's of newbies trying exactly what I'm doing now and giving up never to be seen again.

Wake up Site Admin or whomever is in charge of device comparability on all platforms. Before it's too late.

It's compatibility. Site COMPATABILITY. On ALL smart phones out there.

This frustrates me. Doesn't cost me money. Not my site. But everytime I get mad with with the way the site handles traffic or the way it handles the web....I tend to spend less time.

Time is running out.

TV tech, I was referring to the thread regarding windings and poles on an alternator.

The number of posters that ask a question so they can argue against the answers seems to be increasing. I blame the "no losers" culture.

Mike.
As you know I frequent AAC as a lot of you do... One of my biggest complaints over there ( and sometimes here ) is members will sit and await first responders... Only so they can but in with "no..no.. your wrong"... "Well answer the call yourself then you d**khead" is my first thought.. It bothers me sooo much that these dunning whatevers are out there... I'd love to meet one in the flesh and peel it off..

Rant over....

Common. Kids these days are not stuck in front of computers like we were for so long. Smartphones are where it's at now. And they are getting steadily more powerful.

That's all I'm saying. ETO has to get the site more smart phone friendly.

As it is I've got around 1700 PDF files stored on my phones data card ..... circuit diagrams, IC pinouts etc. I sit in the workshop far from a pc .....and fix them. My productivity has gone up 100%.

No scratching for stuff anymore. At my fingertips.

I'm old ... image the future :)

As you know I frequent AAC as a lot of you do... One of my biggest complaints over there ( and sometimes here ) is members will sit and await first responders... Only so they can but in with "no..no.. your wrong"... "Well answer the call yourself then you d**khead" is my first thought.. It bothers me sooo much that these dunning whatevers are out there... I'd love to meet one in the flesh and peel it off..

Rant over....

Thank you for that - best laugh I have had all day :)

Probably the only breakages we'll get will be built in obsolescence.

I have to say i am right now on phone (android + opera) and have no trouble using the site.

I have to say i am right now on phone (android + opera) and have no trouble using the site.
Try uploading something. Normally fine for images. Everything else and it results in a screen you can't deal with.
You will find yourself double posting. And you can't edit. Try it.
tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back