Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the car engine ABS check not dissappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekemiat ke

hell all, my Allion A20 car has an indication of the ABS sensor on the dashboard. The indicator does not disappear when the engine is running. Can i still drive while the sensor has this fault and how can i remove this fault? Somene suggested that i should replace it with new ABS sensors but am not so sure about this. Help!

A common cause is ABS sensor failure, easily checked with a simple ohm meter reading. However, even assuming that's what is, once you're replaced it the error code may need clearing via some kind of service computer.

As for driving, as far as I'm aware all it normally does is disable the ABS, no the brakes 'should' work as normal old -non-ABS brakes.

However, depending on your country it might be an offence to drive with the ABS light ON?, certainly in the UK it's an MOT failure and the car is declared unroadworthy.

Many cars will turn off the light once the car has had the ignition turned off and back on again and has been driven at 50 kph or so with the correct signals coming from all the wheels.

One car I had illuminated the ABS light when the wire to a sensor wasn't secured and got worn though. Another turned on the light when I got the driven wheels turning quite fast with the car on a lift and all the wheels off the ground. Neither needed any special action to turn the light out once the systems were back to normal.

I think that you can get an ABS light if one or more wheels stop turning. Simply applying the handbrake on really slippery roads will cause that on most cars, and that alone shouldn't need a trip to the dealer to fix. I know that putting the handbrake on at speed can result in loss of control, but that is a different argument.

An ABS fault alone will not stop the car from being driven. Without the ABS sensors all working, the ABS will probably not work, but most cars built before 2000 didn't have ABS at all, and many are still being driven. Obviously, with no ABS, braking too hard for the grip will lead to a skid, so you should get the car fixed as soon as possible. If you have found a fault, and fixed it, and the light is still on, take it for a cautious drive.

With any brake fault, do your first test at a speed where complete brake failure won't spoil your day. You can test pedal feel without the car moving, and the first brake test should be at 1 kph or so.

Code faults for ABS do not clear that easy, It takes a special dedicated-for-ABS reader/eraser which is not always the generic one for engine trouble code diagnosis. Hermetism from the manufacturer avoids people tampering on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back