Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TESTING 18650 BATTERIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsc1ugs

I have a lot of 18650 batteries out of makita batteries i need testing because the makita charger doesnt like them, need to test if the cells are dead because most will charge up individually using a cheaper device and read around 4 volts each but when together the makita charger said its bad. I do know if one goes down the whole 18v battery wont work

An older Li-Ion or Li-PO is dangerous to charge if it has been discharged to less than 3V. Most Chinese protection circuits disconnect the load too low at 2.5V.
A charger should attempt charging with a very low current and if the voltage does not slowly rise then the battery is disconnected, and an error flag is set.

I am salvaging 18650 batteries too. My charger will not charge a 18650 if voltage is less than 3v. Anything 3v and up I can charge. Batteries less than 3v I put in parallel with a 4v battery to charge it above 3v. Once battery is above 3v the charger will charge it. I charge 40 batteries then return a month later to test them. Batteries 4v I keep. Batteries less than 3v I trash. If batteries is a bit low like 3.7v I charge it 1 more time to see what happens after 1 month. If battery is low again I trash it.
Buy an XTAR VC8, as well as charging batteries it will test them for you as well (grad mode).

This is my battery charger. It charges at 1000ma and tests the battery as it charges. If there is a problem charger stops charging. It charges batteries up to 4.2v.
100_6458 - Copy.JPG

This is my battery charger. It charges at 1000ma and tests the battery as it charges. If there is a problem charger stops charging. It charges batteries up to 4.2v.

If it's so great why are asking questions? - and from your post it isn't so great, it's not 'testing' the batteries - only charging them. The only 'testing' is to make sure they are suitable for charging - not if they are any good.

The one I mentioned does full capacity testing, as well as just charging.

If it's so great why are asking questions? - and from your post it isn't so great, it's not 'testing' the batteries - only charging them. The only 'testing' is to make sure they are suitable for charging - not if they are any good.

The one I mentioned does full capacity testing, as well as just charging.

I am not asking questions, this is not my thread. I only said, this is my battery charger it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back