Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesla

HELLO guys,

I want to have a 4046 IC tester circuit.
I don't know if there is any ready circuit in the net or not. Can you guys let me know if it is a simple way to be done? The 4046 is enough to be tested for me.
I don't know how to start to make/design it.
Thanks for any help

4046 is phase-lock loop with oscillator it is not a digital logic chip which can be tested with logic gate tester. It needs a special tester which can be assembled using chip datasheet.

4046 is phase-lock loop with oscillator it is not a digital logic chip which can be tested with logic gate tester. It needs a special tester which can be assembled using chip datasheet.

Well I am not sure if the Functional diagram is the the right thing to go with...?
I thought maybe an almost simple circuit based on the chip is the right case to go with?? For instance a circuit which uses the whole pins of the chip (so if just one pin got a problem the the circuit stops functioning)? Or you say ANY problem on any pin of the chip will cause it to stop working?

Thanks again

Every digital logic chip tester tests the chip functionality. Problems with chip are always internal chip problems thus talking about pin problem make no sense. Chip may not respond correctly on signal connected to a specific pin but it is not a pin problem.
4046 is a complicated chip and can not be tested by simply applying a voltage to a pin. It has few different phase comparators, oscillator and more.

Every digital logic chip tester tests the chip functionality. Problems with chip are always internal chip problems thus talking about pin problem make no sense. Chip may not respond correctly on signal connected to a specific pin but it is not a pin problem.
4046 is a complicated chip and can not be tested by simply applying a voltage to a pin. It has few different phase comparators, oscillator and more.

Thanks but I meant for instance an internal problem for 4046 may occur at just one pin so can I make a circuit out of the chip to test the whole it?(maybe the circuit does not use one or more pins while they are used in another circuit..)

for instance say I make this circuit and use a socket so that I test the 4046, but as you can see in the pic the circuit does not use the Whole pins of the 4046, so what to d?
Free Electronics Projects

The other question is that do you guys know any other simple circuit out of 4046 so that I could use as the chip tester?

Thanks

It depends on what you need. Do you intend to use those chips only in a specific circuit or usage would be universal?

**broken link removed**

This looks good ... small circuit for test purposes, tests all the pins!

Cheers Ian

Thanks but what it does really? how to see the output result? Do I need an scope for each test? If so it would not be possible to do so every time!

Do you guys think that I can use below circuit t test the said chip?
I can change the C1 so that I get a very low frequency and then I can connect the output a LED to test the chip. If the led blinked then the chip is OK...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back