Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

want to build a tesla thingy that creats a spark across to probes about 2cm apart how would i do this

I don't think a tesla is what you want. A flyback transformer is suitable for this kind of experiment, but obviously take suitable safety precautions! Only run if from a battery, using a simple transistor oscillator to generate the AC. Actually, the stun gun project posted on this site might work :?: , mabye would need a bigger stepup ratio for 2cm arc though.

danielsmusic said:
what is a flyback transformer?
do you have to have ac?

ALL transformers need AC to work, but you sometimes switch a DC supply to create the AC.

A flyback transformer is the transformer inside a TV that generates the EHT for the tube, usually around 25Kv in a colour TV. It's often called the LOPTX (Line Output Transformer).

It's called a 'flyback' transformer because they work by switching the DC supply through them ON and OFF, as it's switched OFF you get a large 'flyback' pulse, this is what creates the high voltages - in the same basic way as a relay coil does. The LOPTX though is tuned (by capacitors), and this makes it work even better.

i built a telsa coil in eletronics in high school it took 4 hours to wind the coil on a lathe could be done with a drill an some help used a 1ft peice of glass with to steel plates on each side for a cap. an a 7k transformer from a neon sign to fire it. it would light a florence tube at 20' if you stated it off next to the coil. man it was something to see though amprereage was low.

Yeah, an actual tesla coil is a more interesting project, and so long as you insulate the parts that are capable of supplying dengerous currents (ie the primary of neon sign transformer), then it is fairly safe.

looks like i need help on a flyback transformer what sort of wire should i use? the bit that actuly fires. has anyone got any pics?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back