Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla coil progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
You also didn't say how thick it was? Teflon sheet doesn't work that way. You would basically try to fasten wax paper or aluminum foil.
I have a few different types of epoxy from old capacitor attempts maybe that?
Also I am not quite understanding the need for Teflon if the screws are still going right through the wood? I now it will hold up without the Teflon, but I just bought it because I thought it might help a little. Probably not worth it then could have just used like a page protector or something.

the thickness is 0.001 inch

Unless you got bondable teflon/PTFE, epoxy won't stick. Remember teflon coated cooking pans?

Properties of PTFE: https://www.fluorotec.com/news/blog/the-properties-and-advantages-of-polytetrafluoroethylene-ptfe/

I'm not sure what sort of voltage your expecting at this commutator. I thought it was relativity high. I'm also suspecting water vapor/water.

I'm also suspecting dirt to accumulate on your boards.
Maybe a couple coats of waterproof varnish?
The teflon coated cooking pans do come to mind. That's a disappointment.
If the only use for the teflon would have been to keep the surface area clean, I don't think its worth it.

Like I stated earlier the screws would still be a conductive path if conductivity in the wood was a problem.

I would need bondable teflon as well as nylon screws or something.

Last edited:
You have a "blueprint" for this don't you? If not you should. If you have even a sketch of how your building it, please post it. Then maybe some of us can give you better help on ways to get it done.

You have a "blueprint" for this don't you? If not you should. If you have even a sketch of how your building it, please post it. Then maybe some of us can give you better help on ways to get it done.
Well, I have rough sketches of how I imagine it to look like, but it always turns out different along the way such as spacing and stuff like this. Also a lot has changed. I now have a half wave voltage multiplier dual MOT power supply as the power. I'll just give y'all all I got when I get the chance today. You will not be impressed.

What kind of voltage do you expect to see at this commutator?

The systems close this that I have worked on include a 40kV igniter for an arc amp. The spark gap had to be replaced periodically.
The breakdown was about 600 V for the spark gap. Normal operating parameters were 22V 40 A.

Of course car ignition systems.

And supplies from 15 kV at 1.5A and 0-100 kV at 0.1A. The first item was regulated with a tube, no less. Add a 1000 W RF transmitter,and a 1W laser. to the list.

Dirt, sharp points and loose connections were usualy enemies.

What kind of voltage do you expect to see at this commutator?

The systems close this that I have worked on include a 40kV igniter for an arc amp. The spark gap had to be replaced periodically.
The breakdown was about 600 V for the spark gap. Normal operating parameters were 22V 40 A.

Of course car ignition systems.

And supplies from 15 kV at 1.5A and 0-100 kV at 0.1A. The first item was regulated with a tube, no less. Add a 1000 W RF transmitter,and a 1W laser. to the list.

Dirt, sharp points and loose connections were usualy enemies.
I will send you the schematic for the voltage multiplier later, but I’m expecting around 8 to 12 KV probably more like 10K.

Here is most of the stuff I did to wrap my head around the project. The problem you will find is my writing and sketches are either unreadable or they are outdated.
Such as the sucker gap, that got scratched
And my plans for the power supply, that got scratched.
And the control box, that got changed quite a bit.

So don’t know if you will find any of this helpful.
The schematic is on a different device so going to have to send that later.

Attachments

• F7A28FEC-AED9-43DA-9009-148AF8176F3F.jpeg
    F7A28FEC-AED9-43DA-9009-148AF8176F3F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 197
  • 67A228C4-7412-4BF3-90F4-980F56624970.jpeg
    67A228C4-7412-4BF3-90F4-980F56624970.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
  • F1F9611E-3D24-4779-BE2C-63B1D71B1CA8.jpeg
    F1F9611E-3D24-4779-BE2C-63B1D71B1CA8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • 99AB4242-ADA3-419B-8438-2459158ABEB5.jpeg
    99AB4242-ADA3-419B-8438-2459158ABEB5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
  • 5054371E-A0F8-429B-9042-098855C6CEFF.jpeg
    5054371E-A0F8-429B-9042-098855C6CEFF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
  • 82E23D06-0FC1-47BD-B91F-C22BDA005D0B.jpeg
    82E23D06-0FC1-47BD-B91F-C22BDA005D0B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
  • 05D56809-2162-46B3-BE75-13F29A317CF2.jpeg
    05D56809-2162-46B3-BE75-13F29A317CF2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
  • 085715B0-5D6B-4D7E-A3EB-0F2BA2586CC5.jpeg
    085715B0-5D6B-4D7E-A3EB-0F2BA2586CC5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 188
  • F506F882-2ADF-4BF9-AC33-A7F1447476F3.jpeg
    F506F882-2ADF-4BF9-AC33-A7F1447476F3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
Here is most of the stuff I did to wrap my head around the project.

That's great but I was meaning the rotary spark gap, more than the rest of the coil. So far all you have shown is someone else's RSG with no reference to where it came from. I know I'm old and everything that goes with it, but I always work out what and how before starting to build something, then I start to buy what I need. Makes your money go farther. Not trying to tell you how you should do things, just trying to give ideas and help.

That's great but I was meaning the rotary spark gap, more than the rest of the coil. So far all you have shown is someone else's RSG with no reference to where it came from. I know I'm old and everything that goes with it, but I always work out what and how before starting to build something, then I start to buy what I need. Makes your money go farther. Not trying to tell you how you should do things, just trying to give ideas and help.
Oh ok, well I was going to go off of this guy's design on the rotary https://www.loneoceans.com/labs/teslacoil2/july30_arsgalmost.jpg
but it didn't look stable enough nor did I have the tools to drill the exact holes in the disc. My rotary was just thrown together by spare wood I had. It kind of came together as I was building it.
I had no pre-sketches or plans for it which I think would have helped. I just was going off of something I already saw somewhere.

No no, I completely agree I should probably work on planning and measuring before hand. It seems though when I plan something, something else comes up and ruins it all together. That way I can't plan too much ahead.

I don't know if there is software that can help with this. Or if I just need to practice, but yeah, it can be a real money waster as well as time consumer.

here is the schematic.

Hehe ignore the variable speed control circuit. That's not used.

Attachments

• Schematic_4 _ 25 inch tesla coil_2021-03-13.png
    Schematic_4 _ 25 inch tesla coil_2021-03-13.png
    221 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Oh hey, I know him! Met him at the Rochester Area Teslathon in New York a couple years back. Great guy, knows his stuff! 2004 though, that was one of his earlier designs. I'm sure if you asked him today he'd have some much better recommendations than an angle grinder though :p
No way you met him? That is so cool! Yeah I tried reaching out to him, but I never got a response.
Even though it is an old web site he made an awesome coil almost effortlessly.

No way you met him? That is so cool! Yeah I tried reaching out to him, but I never got a response.
Even though it is an old web site he made an awesome coil almost effortlessly.
Yes indeed, I have had the pleasure to meet a number of the greats, including Steve Ward himself (on multiple occasions). Was very sad when Ed Wingate "retired" from hosting the RATCB Teslathon last year. Hopefully we'll find another time and place to meet though.

I don't know if there is software that can help with this. Or if I just need to practice, but yeah, it can be a real money waster as well as time consumer.

I build a lot of things, mostly mechanical, things I'm to cheap to buy. And being old, and not getting into computers and the net until very late in life I have a hard time with drawing software . but I when working out a design for something resort to CAD, Cardboard Aided Design. I draw stuff to either full size or to scale depending on the size of it. Then with thumbtacks for the rotating points(axles) I can see if the geometry of something will work or not. Saves the money and time of making it in real material and shows where or if there is a problem.

I know you say you don't have many tools, but you do seem to have a few Harbor Freight stores in your area. If Your going to do things that need some precision machining spend a little and get tools, like a drill press or what ever from there. People make fun of their tools but one from HF beats not having one at all, and they aren't all that bad. And just like the big name tools they need to be adjusted to get the most out of them. Stuff right out of the package isn't always ready to run and do the best work.

I build a lot of things, mostly mechanical, things I'm to cheap to buy. And being old, and not getting into computers and the net until very late in life I have a hard time with drawing software . but I when working out a design for something resort to CAD, Cardboard Aided Design. I draw stuff to either full size or to scale depending on the size of it. Then with thumbtacks for the rotating points(axles) I can see if the geometry of something will work or not. Saves the money and time of making it in real material and shows where or if there is a problem.

I know you say you don't have many tools, but you do seem to have a few Harbor Freight stores in your area. If Your going to do things that need some precision machining spend a little and get tools, like a drill press or what ever from there. People make fun of their tools but one from HF beats not having one at all, and they aren't all that bad. And just like the big name tools they need to be adjusted to get the most out of them. Stuff right out of the package isn't always ready to run and do the best work.
I enjoy drawing it out on paper and designing it that way, I think it is a god skill to know. Like I said it usually is not to scale or I missed something vital. I think I will try CAD and see if it works for me. Cardboard is cheap.
Harbor freight has surpprised me with some of the things I bought, they're not half bad! You're right though, get the tools, plan ahead, cut once measure twice. All good stuff.

Last edited:
How should I go about recording the tesla coil? I have a 250mm lens so the camera can be set away a little. I really don't want to ruin my camera it's worth more than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back