Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla coil progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

Just thought I’d do an update. Here’s a few pictures of the tesla coil. Basically most of the components are just laying on the cart and I’ll mount them when I have everything. Need a terry filter and caps and safety gap, also I need to wire the contact box which I think looks pretty nice. Also a ballast or some choke coils might be in order.
The on,y thing I would probably change for next time is not having 1/2 inch gaps between the primary and instead do 1/4 so there is less risk of it getting in the way and would use a lot less tubbing.
Anyway here it is.

Attachments

• A4951A10-E693-48C2-9FDB-EDD63A4A95AB.jpeg
    A4951A10-E693-48C2-9FDB-EDD63A4A95AB.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 237
  • E6F48DAC-F41E-4E2C-96C0-BF7F2DDD7D83.jpeg
    E6F48DAC-F41E-4E2C-96C0-BF7F2DDD7D83.jpeg
    710 KB · Views: 227
  • FC8CF2E1-8806-4918-8D4C-CAC15F0EEFFB.jpeg
    FC8CF2E1-8806-4918-8D4C-CAC15F0EEFFB.jpeg
    903.5 KB · Views: 226
Wouldn't it be nice to keep all of your progress photos in one thread so we can scroll back to see the commentary, questions and photos all in one place?

Wouldn't it be nice to keep all of your progress photos in one thread so we can scroll back to see the commentary, questions and photos all in one place?
I agree, I would make this your main Tesla Coil progress thread if I were you. Maybe change the title to "Tesla Coil Project Progress" or something like that? Then post all of your photos here.

Last edited:
I agree, I would make this your main Tesla Coil progress thread if I were you. Maybe change the title to "Tesla Coil Project Progress" or something like that? Then post all of your photos here.
That would probably be a good idea, I didn’t know if threads expire or something.

I do have a question though, what is a three phase tesla coil? What does three phase even mean? I've seen a few videos on a three phase MOT tesla coil here.

I do have a question though, what is a three phase tesla coil? What does three phase even mean? I've seen a few videos on a three phase MOT tesla coil here.
that means three phase ac input.

OHHH thats cool. How is that possible? Would he need a 3 phase generator?
I doubt 3 phase from mains would be enough.
instalacni-vidlice-16a-400v-5-pol.jpg

It could be use with 3 diferent primary windings. Or it could be rectified.
3 phase input provides more stable DC voltage.
**broken link removed**

I doubt 3 phase from mains would be enough.

How much is it going to need?.

3 Phase is capable of HUGE power - if you have the infrastructure.

In the UK all power is 3 phase, but houses are normally connected to just neutral and one of the phases, with alternate houses using alternate phases to balance the load. Business premises often have full 3 phase, depending on their power requirements, and if you have a need for it you can have 3 phase for your house as well. Where I used to work we had three phase, basically because we had a small goods hoist which had a 3 phase motor - though that was the only 3 phase item. But because of the 3 phases different parts of the building were on different phases, so you could get power cuts in just some parts of the building. Easy to tell - just try the goods hoist, if a phase had gone down it just buzzed.

BTW, nice diagram! :D

How much is it going to need?.

3 Phase is capable of HUGE power - if you have the infrastructure.

In the UK all power is 3 phase, but houses are normally connected to just neutral and one of the phases, with alternate houses using alternate phases to balance the load. Business premises often have full 3 phase, depending on their power requirements, and if you have a need for it you can have 3 phase for your house as well. Where I used to work we had three phase, basically because we had a small goods hoist which had a 3 phase motor - though that was the only 3 phase item. But because of the 3 phases different parts of the building were on different phases, so you could get power cuts in just some parts of the building. Easy to tell - just try the goods hoist, if a phase had gone down it just buzzed.

BTW, nice diagram! :D
How is three phase different than just adding the frequency?

In the UK all power is 3 phase, but houses are normally connected to just neutral and one of the phases,
In CZ we are using 3 phase for houses, even for flats in buildings. I am surprised that houses in UK use only 1 phase.
i have 3 phase socket in my room btw =D

In CZ we are using 3 phase for houses, even for flats in buildings. I am surprised that houses in UK use only 1 phase.
That is very uncommon in the US. Usually only large businesses and facilities get 3-phase power here.

I met an industrial engineer who had a few 3 phase 240 volt outlets that he somehow custom installed.

What do you run in your houses? :D

'Modern' (newer than mine!) UK supplies are usually 60A to 100A at 240V single phase - so there's not much that you would need that would exceed that?.

Mine is less, as it's an old house (120 years or so) - the incoming feed is only 10mm as I recall? - current installs are 25mm.

A three phase induction motor delivers nearly constant power, compared with a single phase motor where the power varies from 0 to 100% twice during each mains cycle.
So what they all cried...
If that motor is powering a machine such as a lathe or a milling machine, the machine will run much smoother on three phase power, thus producing a better surface finish on the product.

I have a small lathe, a Myford ML7 which is nearly as old as I am.
A year or so ago I replaced the old single phase motor with a three phase motor and three phase variable frequency drive.
The difference between the two motors is amazing.

we have 400V =P
Thats crazy!
No it isn't.
Just don't go poking your fingers in there while the power is on and you will not get hurt.

In the UK, at the end user level, single phase is 240 volts, and three phase is 415 volts from line to line but from line to neutral it is 240 volts, which is where the domestic single phase comes from as described by Nigel in post #10.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back