Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

taking first steps in PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

Well I've got the tank and a heater and the air pump from a fellow member that lives locally to me.

Now just how do i proceed ? obviously i will need blank board, a pen or other equivalent item and the chemical.

Anything else ? any recomendations ? what temperature should I keep the solution at and whats the best way of storing it ? I guess i need a thermometer as well !

Heater and bubbler are strictly optional equipment.

All your questions or dependent on the type of etchant you will be using. If you want to use the muriatic acid/peroxide etchant this instructable is helpful.

Stop using Ferric Chloride etchant! (A better etching solution.)

As for what etchant resist method you use, you'll need to investigate that further. If you want to use a simple sharpie, that's fine.

Well I've got the tank and a heater and the air pump from a fellow member that lives locally to me.

Now just how do i proceed ? obviously i will need blank board, a pen or other equivalent item and the chemical.
You can use toner transfer or the photo process, I use both.

Toner transfer is the cheapest: print the artwork using a laser printer, iron onto the board, soak and remove the paper leaving behind the paper. You can buy special proprietary papers such as Pulsar but I just use magazine paper, in fact ordinary photocopier paper will work.

A more expensive option is to use the photo method but it does give better results. Print the artwork on to tracing paper or film, place over photo sensitive board, expose to UVA light for 3 to five minutes, develop using hydrogen peroxide (or similar developer) and etch in the usual manner. You can buy photosensitive board or use special spray, I just buy the photosensitive board.

I don't have an etching tank, I just place the board and solution in a bowl and microwave it until it gets to about 50°C.

I've being toying with the idea of building a tank but never got round to it.

EDIT:
Don't bother using the marker pen or transfers method, it's unreliable and gives very unprofessional results.

Last edited:
so I suppose i need a blasted laser printer now....

so how many of us use the muriatic acid method ?

Last edited:
Toner transfer is the cheapest: print the artwork using a laser printer, iron onto the board, soak and remove the paper leaving behind the paper. You can buy special proprietary papers such as Pulsar but I just use magazine paper, in fact ordinary photocopier paper will work.

I was going to just use a etch-resist pen for my PCBs but if it's that simple I'll be better off just doing that. Is there anything special needed for this method, or can you do it with ordinary toner and paper?

What you need depends on what style PCB you want to make.

You only need a laser for toner transfer.
You only need exposure lamps (system) for photo transfer.

Both are good.

Or spend a few buck and send it off to be made.

3v0

Does anyone know of a webpage which has a step-by-step guide for the toner transfer method? Maybe a youtube video showing how to do it?

so I suppose i need a blasted laser printer now....
No you don't, you could use the photo method or photocopy it at work or the local library.

Or you could build/buy a UV exposure, come to thing of it, I have a spare UV exposure I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price.:)

so how many of us use the muriatic acid method ?
I use sodium persulphlate and sodium bisulphate, it takes longer to etch than ferric chloride but is much cleaner.

what brand name can i find Hydrogen peroxide under, my dads mouth wash does not have it, I don't want to walk into the chemist and ask for a product containing it I have to go into too many detils that way

I don't know of any brand names for hydrogen peroxide alone... what do you need it for? Bleach for hair is usually primarily hydrogen peroxide.

I didn't realise you could etch with hydrogen peroxide :confused: it's a potent oxidising agent, I would think it would just cause formation of copper oxides.

I didn't realise you could etch with hydrogen peroxide :confused: it's a potent oxidising agent, I would think it would just cause formation of copper oxides.

you combine it with muriatic acid in diluted quantities

Ah I see from the website that it's combined with copper and hydrochloric acid to produce copper chloride (and water).

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide is also used by terrorists to make bombs so you'll be treated suspiciously if you by large quantities of it.:D

Hydrogen peroxide is also used by terrorists to make bombs

So are nails; I'm sure he'll be fine as long as he doesn't run to catch a train the day after a terrorist attack :rolleyes:

Personally I think the anarchist's cookbook has some more twisted things than bombs made using hydrogen peroxide. The thermite mailbomb, phonebomb, or door knob 'joke' to name a few. Thermite mailbomb = aluminium powder, iron oxide powder, magnesium powder to reach the correct temperature for ignition, and bromine crystals along the seal of the envelope to ignite the magnesium (they explode when impacted). Deeply unpleasant. The phonebomb idea suggested replacing the speaker in a phone with a bomb, and taping down the receiver. The suspect lifts the receiver to their ear, takes off the tape when they realise it's still ringing, and blows their head off :eek: And the doorknob 'joke' involves wiring a doorknob to the mains supply...

The individuals who wrote that book need psychiatric help.

Edit: Sorry for going off on a tangent there :D Fortunately none of those twisted things involve hydrogen peroxide.

Last edited:
The Anarchist Cookbook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia said:
Since writing the book, Powell has converted to Christianity and attempted to have the book removed from circulation in 2000.[1] However, Powell noted that when the book was published, the copyright was taken out in the publisher's name, not his, and the current publisher has no desire to remove the book from print. Powell has since written many websites devoted to the book, explaining his desire to see it removed from circulation[4] as he no longer advocates what he had written, saying:

"The book, in many respects, was a misguided product of my adolescent anger at the prospect of being drafted and sent to Vietnam to fight in a war that I did not believe in."[1]
:D:D:D

ok so what products contain this stuff in sufficient quantity to make a bom......err..... I meant etching solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back